Road trip woes... CV joint, axle seal, brake system flush and oil change/ leak.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MaleHoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am supposed to head out tomorrow 150 miles then another 700 miles the next day. I did a pre purchase check on the Tahoe I bought 6 months ago. It is a 2002 LT 5.3l with 198k. I was planning on getting this all done before we left but my daughter has kept me crazy busy with doctors appointments and therapy so not only is time tight now but money is too. In the last 6 months the only thing I have had pop up is the coolant low light. I have never had issue with overheating or seen any fluids on the drive way so I am fairly confidant it is a solid Tahoe. Well like the title says the things that came up as issues are:

the boot on the left front cv (shaft/joint) is ripped and grease has leaked out possibly a failure of the axle seal. I am tempted to try and replace it myself...

BRAKE FLUID TESTED AT 3% MOISTURE CONTENT, I plan to get the system flushed and an oil change before I leave.

OIL PAN GASKET/REAR MAIN SEAL, OIL LEAKING DOWN FROM LEFT REAR CORNER OF ENGINE APPEARS TO BE VALVE COVER OR INTAKE. FRONT AXLE DISCONNECT SOLENOID OILY AND MAY BE LEAKING...
Honestly not sure what to do with that.

I just feel like the shops I have checked out don't want to be transparent with what parts they use and why. I know youtube can make things look simple but it doesn't seem like a new cv joint and axle seal should be $425.
Any suggestions?

Last edited:

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
OP
OP
MaleHoe

MaleHoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I took it to the suspension place by my house the day before the trip and he was going to replace the cv shaft but after looking at it he said the boot is scuffed up but it is in perfect working condition. I got an alignment and an oil change and was on my way. I added antifreeze twice and one quart of oil when I was almost home. I banged around in the rear area to get the AC to work back there and it has been working ever since. I was looking at buying the parts to fix it and have got lucky so far. I am going to look at the oil test just because I bought it with 196k and would like to get a better understanding of the health. I was happy with the ride and pleasantly surprised on the way my 2 and 6 year old girls did on the drive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaliRoyal