Rim sizing is about to make my head explode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Going to need a set of tires here in the coming months.

Been itching to go to some 20s

I want to pick up a set of factory 20" wheels from some other truck (aftermarket quality sucks in my experience). But.... My head's spinning as far as selection goes.

Ideally, I want to keep a close / close-ish look to what I have now(bog standard 17" OEMs). Just a bit bigger. Been eyeing ~2008 silverado wheels. I think they'd look handsome. Offset looks the same, but rim is 8.5" up from 7.5" on there now.

End goal is something that's just drop in and go, while preserving factory geometry. I don't want to do any trimming or steering stop adjustments or anything else - want to preserve factory usability and convenience here.

So with that in mind... Does anyone have any known-good 20" wheel measurements (and maybe tire sizes while we're here)?

Wheels I'm hunting for:
image-jpg.jpg

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to need a set of tires here in the coming months.

Been itching to go to some 20s

I want to pick up a set of factory 20" wheels from some other truck (aftermarket quality sucks in my experience). But.... My head's spinning as far as selection goes.

Ideally, I want to keep a close / close-ish look to what I have now(bog standard 17" OEMs). Just a bit bigger. Been eyeing ~2008 silverado wheels. I think they'd look handsome. Offset looks the same, but rim is 8.5" up from 7.5" on there now.

End goal is something that's just drop in and go, while preserving factory geometry. I don't want to do any trimming or steering stop adjustments or anything else - want to preserve factory usability and convenience here.

So with that in mind... Does anyone have any known-good 20" wheel measurements (and maybe tire sizes while we're here)?

Wheels I'm hunting for:
View attachment 357314
Those are P58s aka 9597675 aka Hollander 5291 and have 31mm offset, which is what most GMT900 wheels have.

Check CL, FB Marketplace, Offerup, etc. Lots of guy threw them in their shed ten years ago and forgot all about them.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
far as ive noticed for the most part when using different factory tires just run the tire size that was intended to have been on those rims and your good. well for an easy choice atleast. plenty of other tire sizes you could match it with.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, the rims that you need to be close to an original stock 20" rim are 8.5" wide and a 31mm offset. I run a 305/50x20 tire with no rubbing.

OP
OP
SnowDrifter

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Swath: Nice thanks! Gives me a bit more to search on

Joseph: Hell yeah dude thanks! Mind posting some pics of your side profile from the front/rear/full lock turns? I want to see how much that section with protrudes and clearance against components. I was set on 275/55R20 - should be a bit closer to OE tire size.

And one more for ya: Handling / tracking improved by lower sidewall? Or nah? Wasn't really the main goal, but if it gets better without having a tall ass sidewall then hey I'll take it.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Full side view:
Full Side View.jpg

Front corner view:
front corner view.jpg

Front corner lower view:
Front Lower View.jpg

Rear corner view:
Rear Corner View.jpg

Rear corner lower view:
Rear Lower View.jpg

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Front full turn out:
Front Full Turn Out.jpg

Front full turn out trailing edge:
Front Full Turn Out Trailing Edge.jpg

Front full turn in:
Front Full Turn In.jpg

Front full turn in leading edge:
Front Full Turn In Leading Edge.jpg

Tire and rim profile view:
Tire and Rim Profile View.jpg

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The larger 8.5 wheel, in my opinion, just makes it look more stream lined, vs the 7.5, looks to be a bit sunken in.

@Joseph Garcia is running the Michelins, the only way to fly. Best ride, and all around great tire!

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I purchased this new-to-me truck, it had Goodyear Wrangler 275/60x20 tires. When I switched to the Michelin Defender LTX tire, there was a significant improvement in handling, but I cannot tell you for sure if that was due to the Michelin vs. Goodyear tire itself, or if it was a result of the lower profile tire.

I am totally satisfied with the Michelin Defender tire, and it has no issues with the NH winter. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaliRoyal