Review: Direct Fit Android GPS Head Unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Krmnnghia

Reaction score
I just received a Hizpo 7.1.2 unit made for GM Vehicles 2007-2012(depending on model). I Installed it in a 2007 GMC Yukon XL Denali w/ Bose, XM, factory rear camera, Onstar, and factory rear entertainment. The goal was to retain all vehicle functionality except Onstar and XM.

The Unit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Android 7.1.2, CPU: Rockchip PX3 Cortex A9 Quad Core 1.6GHz, Memory: 16GB, RAM: 2GB

If you don't know anything about these head units, basically there are a dozen or so Chinese manufacturers making them. Not all are the same...some better than others. For $300, it was worth the risk to try it.

The Good:
1. Very fast. The unit seems quite responsive so far. Youtube, Torque Pro, SiriusXM...all run pretty quick.
2. Screen Quality is fantastic.
3. WiFi download speeds are fast, no complaints
4. Bluetooth Audio quality is great when playing music from my iPhone.
5. Radio Quality is great, no excess noise and range seems to be on par with stock system
6. BT internal Mic seems to work OK. My wife said I sounded like I am in a car so pretty much normal.
7. GPS works flawlessly with the Sygic app with no data required.
8. Completely plug and play but you do lose XM and Onstar. If you have the Factory Rear camera, you need to purchase the Metra BACKUPCAM adapter($7) which is still a simple plug in the back of the unit.
9. Retains Volume/track forward-back/source buttons on the steering wheel.
10. Video works while the vehicle is moving. Use at your own risk.

The Bad:
1. Instructions for install are non existent. It is supposed to be plug and play but initially I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get any audio. Turns out I had to plug two random blue "amp-con" wires together.
2. The dB output is set to "0" from the factory. This makes volume level 1 waaaay to loud with the Bose system. I was able to get in to the factory settings(code 126) and lower the output to a reasonable level and this worked perfectly. Sound quality is still fantastic after the change.
3. There is a very light static noise from all speakers. it is very faint and I can only hear it when the truck is running. Some have suggested the case should be grounded(which I did), or a pair of RCA ground loop isolators should be installed. I tried this and it didn't help. The seller requested I return it for a new unit. Might still do that.
4. Every click of the Volume knob gives a light audible thump noise. not sure why, it is very faint but may be related to the static noise I hear.
5. Wifi and GPS hookups in the back do not work with the factory plastic. Had to cut some plastic slightly. See Pic
6. CANBUS settings at the factory were at none. I had to change it to GM before it would recognize the volume buttons on the steering wheel but those do work.

Things left to test/figure out:
1. Factory Rear Entertainment. Now working after playing with the RCA's to find which ones did what. No adapter needed but still trying to figure out how to force the rear screen to show anything playing on the main LCD and not just DVD.

The units have a HUGE following on the XDA forums and custom ROMS are available to take these things to the limit and get the best experience possible.

MSU game.JPG cutplastic.jpg

Last edited:

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
welcome to the android party :lol:

I used a pac GMRVD harness, basically a Y-harness that adds a set of RCAs, problem now is rear display will only show whats on the head unit screen now

OP
OP
K

Krmnnghia

Reaction score
welcome to the android party :lol:

I used a pac GMRVD harness, basically a Y-harness that adds a set of RCAs, problem now is rear display will only show whats on the head unit screen now

I did buy the GMRSAV harness but didn’t need it as the seller designed the harness to work without it. What I can’t figure out and hope someone on the XDA forums can, is how to make this particular unit push video without having to hit the DVD button.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LanceD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it come with the gps antenna?
If not can you provide a link to it as well as the rear camera, obdII Bluetooth thing and any other accessories needed?

LanceD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If not can you provide a link to it as well as the rear camera, obdII Bluetooth thing and any other accessories needed?

Also curious if you can use any backup cam and obd device or are they specific to the brand?

OP
OP
K

Krmnnghia

Reaction score

Yes it comes with a GPS antenna as well as a GPS app. I wasn't a fan of the app, iGo, that was included so I loaded Sygic and its much better.

I used the stock rear cam and didn't cut any wires. You can use any aftermarket rear camera with it though as well as a front cam for DVR if that's your thing.

I bought this OBD2 adapter because I wanted a wifi version but they have BT as well: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WPW6BAE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is the stock rear cam adapter I bought: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Axxess-B...ackup-Camera-Retention-Lan29-System/146420474

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rgeurts