Replacing Shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JGM70

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2004 Tahoe LT has very rusty shock top bolts. Once i start, it's either replace the shocks or get someone to replace the upper shock mounts. What is the best way to proceed. Only 70,000 miles on vehicle. Any ideas on how to proceed ?

Last edited by a moderator:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If you cannot weld or have a welder and don't feel you can see it through to the end, you gotta go to a shop that can or leave the shocks alone. Do you have a way to heat the bolts, at all? Spray penetrant daily/hourly and attempt.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^^^x2^^^^^

What have you tried so far? Anything? If not, apply PB Blaster to the nut on the bolt at least once per day for a week. Then, see if you can get a set of 6 POINT sockets on the bolt and nut and see if they will break free.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you feel safe with a torch of some type, you can also heat them (maybe MAPP gas). When they are cooling, but good and warm, douse them with penetrating oil and let the heat soak it up. The expansion from heat usually helps draw it in further.

If, as @OR VietVet stated, of you can't tackle it, or find a shop to do so, then leave well enough alone. If the shock mounts are that rusty, I would assume the remainder of important hardware underneath (fuel lines, brake lines, coolant tube, A/C lines, could all be in the same boat and a ticking time bomb that will nickel and dime you.

My rule of thumb is when a car gets that rusty, it's time to look for a replacement. I know it has low miles for the year, but that's not enough in my book to deal with rust headaches.

I remember working on an old farmers Olds 98 with about 55k on it. From the outside it looked good, but was parked on a damp shed floor it's whole life and almost broke apart when lifting it! We advised we would no longer service it and he ended up scrapping it. Not worth the risk to him or others. Just something to ponder.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I couldn't agree more! I would love to live in an area where a vehicle would wear out vs rust out. That's why both of my girls are slathered with fluid film in every crevasse, panel, frame, you name it! It DOES work, but I tend to come out with black smears in odd places after rolling around under them
LOL

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I couldn't agree more! I would love to live in an area where a vehicle would wear out vs rust out. That's why both of my girls are slathered with fluid film in every crevasse, panel, frame, you name it! It DOES work, but I tend to come out with black smears in odd places after rolling around under them
LOL
You are referencing Tahoes, right?

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hahaha......good catch! I think if I lubed up MY girl that way, I'd never be to hang on! It would be slip and slide central, not to mention some pulled muscles, etc. LOL

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Front or rear shocks? How about a pic of what you're seeing?

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... both of my girls are slathered with fluid film in every crevasse, panel, frame, you name it!
It DOES work, but I tend to come out with black smears in odd places after rolling around under them.
Hahaha ... good catch! I think if I lubed up MY girl that way, it'd never be to hang on!
It'd be slip and slide central, not to mention some pulled muscles, etc.
Nothing to add except thanks and appreciation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz