Replacing fog lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My stock lenses fell off. I've heard aftermarket fogs aren't any good. Can I glue aftermarket lenses to the stock housings?

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
My stock lenses fell off. I've heard aftermarket fogs aren't any good. Can I glue aftermarket lenses to the stock housings?
Add a bead of silicone around the edge of the lens and hope they don’t fall off :shrug:. But even the factory fog lens falls off after awhile, years down the road. Swapping lenses wouldn’t prevent anything.
I did heat up and take the lens off my factory fogs at one point to remove the center glare blocker (that metal piece that covers the bulb.). Then I put the lens back in with marine grade sealant .

Schemmer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Rockauto.com has super cheap fog lamps. The biggest problem is getting moisture in the housing. So you can silicone the lens on to make a good seal or create a vent by drilling a very small hole, glue/plastic weld a male adapter on, and create or find a rubber U vent to put on it.

01subCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea anything other then oem housing usually arnt sealed very well..I worked in a yard for years an any of the aftermarket replacement stuff we had was like that.i guess they need ways to cut corners to sell so cheap an some good sealant on the lenses might have been one way to do it.ive made it normal procedure to silicone or clear caulk any lites I get just in case.nothing worse then a brand new light showing condensation in a couple months

Javie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any take-off fog lights from a 2000 Chevrolet Tahoe LS? The lenses on mine are busted out(I know, shocking isn't it? :rolleyes:) and I want to replace them with working units.

I'm open to aftermarket items as long as they fit. I thought about LEDs but decided against them, too complicated for what I want to accomplish. If there are any recommended aftermarket parts that would be a good choice, I'm all ears. . .
I went ahead and purchased some led fog lights on amazon about 2 months ago and simply wired them right into the existing fog lamp wires. Must say they look awesome and still working great!

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
replaced mine with cheap LEDs. 3+ years on them and they still work fine.

2016-04-24 17.13.58.JPG

2016-04-24 20.23.06.JPG 2016-04-24 20.23.51.JPG

I just cut the "reflector" out of the factory light and put the LEDs inside the factory light housing. Drilled a hole for the power wire and connected it to the factory wire. The mounting bracket for the LED is actually bolted through the hole for the factory bulb.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea anything other then oem housing usually arnt sealed very well..I worked in a yard for years an any of the aftermarket replacement stuff we had was like that.i guess they need ways to cut corners to sell so cheap an some good sealant on the lenses might have been one way to do it.ive made it normal procedure to silicone or clear caulk any lites I get just in case.nothing worse then a brand new light showing condensation in a couple months
Oem housings fail or fall apart too. Both of my oem fogs failed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645