Rigid SAE Fog Lights as DRLs (23 Denali)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jgraves

Reaction score
There appear to be 2 wires from the high beam switch to the BCM (flash to pass and high beams, both active low). I'm not sure if the high beam is a momentary or continuous ground. assuming it is a continuous ground, it will be fairly straightforward to trigger a couple opto-isolators or SSRs with the high beam switch. it's a bit more involved than an add-a-fuse on the high beam circuit of my 2010, but also should only activate the driving lights with the high beam switch, not the flash to pass. If it's also momentary, ensuring the driving lights are always synchronized with the high beams may be a challenge.

BTW, there are schematics available on the GM upfitters website. Headlights on page 2-13. https://www.gmupfitter.com/wp-conte...L_Electrical_Body_Builder_SM_en_US_092822.pdf

I've also been a long time Rigid customer, reverse (diffused) and driving on my 2010, driving and diffused on my compact tractor, scene and diffused on my trailer, and spot and driving on my motorcycle.

Vladimir2306

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe my experience will be useful to someone, I put Rigid in the lower grill.

K5-Z71

Reaction score
I was unable to come up with a method to decode the logic from the BCM to the headlamps but it does seem like a simple task for a an aftermarket company to create.

My work around is to measure the amperage draw of the headlamps to determine if the high or low beams are activated. Each headlight will draw 1.41 A on low beams and 2.08 A with the high beams activated. Just have to extend the GND wire to run through a Current Sensing Switch which is adjusted to activate when the current draw is greater than 1.7 A, the current sensing switch will activate a relay to turn on the light bar. Then in the cab install a spdt 3 position rocker switch to achieve either system disarmed, normal operation (on with high beam) or on regardless of headlight state.

jgraves

Reaction score
I followed your thread on the using the current sensing switch, and may follow your path if I can't come up with a physically switched trigger. Did you investigate this wire between the high beam switch and BCM? I'm planning to probe it tomorrow to determine what voltage the BCM is feeding it and if it's momentary or constant.

1703982154175.png

K5-Z71

Reaction score
Probably should finish my install at some point.. Your installation looks very nice, I may use it.

I did not check in that location as I mainly utilize the automatic Hi/Low beam feature. It does appear to be a good spot to pull a ground based on stalk switch position but I assumed that the BCM would not communicate back to wire 307 the status of the Hi/Low beams when the system is in automatic mode. I am very interested to hear the results of your test, this would be a much simpler setup.

jgraves

Reaction score
I don't use the auto high beams. I find it leaves the high beams on where I would normally dim them, doublely so if my driving lights are tied into the high beams.

I'll post my findings and eventual solution here, but I don't plan to explore the auto high beam function.

OP
OP
BobHolthaus

BobHolthaus

Reaction score
Maybe my experience will be useful to someone, I put Rigid in the lower grill.
Thank you for posting this. Write up. I appreciate it. Unfortunately, I have a diesel.

OP
OP
BobHolthaus

BobHolthaus

Reaction score
Guys: I found an install video about fog lights coming on anytime the lights are turned on. This was for a Sierra. Would this work on our vehicles? Thanks, and happy new year.

OP
OP
BobHolthaus

BobHolthaus

Reaction score
Guys: I found an install video about fog lights coming on anytime the lights are turned on. This was for a Sierra. Would this work on our vehicles? Thanks, and happy new year.

Never mind, checked figment guide on site and it says it doesn’t work for a 2023 Yukon. Any idea why? Any of you guys able to figure this out?

Attachments

• IMG_1702.png
    IMG_1702.png
    714.2 KB · Views: 2

jgraves

Reaction score
At least on the 2022+ Sierra, the fog lights are powered by a single pin (X1-6) from the lighting control module. BA is using the left front parking light power (X1-1) to power both fog lights through their jumper, which is likely a diode (directional).

The Yukon uses separate pins (on different connectors) from the LCM to power the fog lights (X1-3 (left) and X3-2 (right)). I suspect this indicates the Yukon fog lights draw more power than the Sierra fog lights. It should be possible to do a similar mod on a Yukon, but a bit more involved than the Sierra, both in parts required and installation effort. The Yukon modification community is also a fraction of the size of the pickup modification community so likely not a worthwhile investment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660