Replacement Ignition Key

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoadTrip

Reaction score
Would it be ok to make a copy of the copied key? I believe I have lost the original as I haven’t been able to find it for over a week. I’m hoping the only copy I have is cut good enough to make another copy. It doesn’t necessarily have to be the original key to make a copy correct?

For the smoothest working keys, pony up and have them cut bu VIN number at your local gm dealer. I do this for all brands of cars that I buy used. Works and feels so much better. Get at least two while you’re there and bring documentation of ownership of the vehicle.

Michigan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the smoothest working keys, pony up and have them cut bu VIN number at your local gm dealer. I do this for all brands of cars that I buy used. Works and feels so much better. Get at least two while you’re there and bring documentation of ownership of the vehicle.
Appreciate the advice

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, or you can go to a dealership and have them cut a key via your VIN. You will need proof of ownership, and I think it cost me $40 or so.

Marty_S

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Recently purchased a 2004 Yukon,and I would like to get a spare key or two.Does it have to be bought at a dealer,or a locksmith?Thanks.
Could be a major difference from 2003 (chip?) but I got spare sets made at Lowes.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could be a major difference from 2003 (chip?) but I got spare sets made at Lowes.
That post was made in 2012, 12 years ago.......................................................
that being said, almost any place that cuts key can cut a key for a gmt800 and should have one or 50 in stock
doesn't matter if the key being copied is used, original, 5th one, yada yada
no chip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879