Replacement headlight ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ford141

Reaction score
I've been lurking here for a while learning while I fix up my newly acquired 99 Yukon. My in-laws gave it to me saying "if you want to fix it, you are welcome to it..." I finally got the running issued sorted out (new fuel injection spider, intake gaskets, distributor, full exhaust system, and tune up) and got the rust fixed (bedlinered bottom half, repaired rear framerails, and replaced rear bumper with roll pan). It is now running great and reliable so I'm moving on to make it overall a nicer daily driver. This is my work ride to save miles and fuel cost on my 08 F250 (I'm really a Ford guy at heart), and I'm amazed at how well the little 5.7 Vortec runs even with 230k on it. I'm hoping it lasts to 300k.

My current issue is lighting. The stock original headlights were horrible. I spent some time cleaning the oxidation off of them and polishing them up, which helped light output, but they are so far out of adjustement that they are still worthless. The adjusters are all frozen, and I stripped them out trying to get them to move. So I'm looking to replace them.

One of the turn signal lenses is broken anyway, so I'm going to replace the headlights/turn signals as a set. I've found numerous clear head/turn sets on ebay in the $50-$70 range. Does anyone have any experience with these? How is the light output? I don't want to spent the money on them if the lights are going to still suck. Any help?

FFB476C5-AC4D-4353-AC38-4A37F525CB3B_zpsk8m7mbzn.jpg

jerryjoe28

That Guy
Reaction score
i have some of the ones off ebay. the light output is good but if you get the ones that come with "free bulbs" trash the bulbs and buy your own they are a joke!.... also DO NOT buy the "smoked" ones they look good but the light output is non existant.

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just make sure the headlight assembly's use the oem style bulbs and non of the Hxx series bulbs as they are crap and a pain to swap.

For best light output, find some with a competely clear and smooth lense.

bigal11419

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes the stocks are 9005 & 9006 so that eBay set should work with you stock harness and wiring

sbubbaklein

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe there is a jumper wire harness that allows both bulbs to be on for high beam. That would certainly give plenty light on with your high beams.

MarkD51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe there is a jumper wire harness that allows both bulbs to be on for high beam. That would certainly give plenty light on with your high beams.

I believe you are referring to what's called the Hi-4 Kit.

Even with the crappiest of Bulbs-Lamps installed, there's way better visibility at night, this is a very good upgrade, with much better lighting of the road ahead.

Sort of dumb how the factory made it that only one pair light at a time.

I did this mod about 10 years ago, and there's absolutely no regrets. In the 10 years time that's passed, I had the original 20A Hi-4 Relay go out a few years back, and one can simply get the new 20A Relay at usually any of the big auto parts stores for not much money.
Mark

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700

Latest posts