Replaced Some Seals, Found a Dead/Cooked Mouse, And...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wildcatgoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...no more oil leak. Truck would let a drop hit the floor maybe couple times a day. Eventually it adds up to a oily spot under the truck... annoying. I did the oil block off plate (dumbest ******** design... just design an oil pan without the hole!) and the oil pan gasket including a healthy dousing of RTV and that didn't work so thought I had a rear main seal job ahead of me to fix it (and I will still be doing that when I put in a rebuilt trans) but the flywheel and bell housing were dry so I did a dye test. I snooped around and found that there was oil coming from either the oil pressure sending unit or somewhere near it. So I went to RockAuto, ordered me up every g'dam oil-blocking seal that can be found on the top end of the motor and got to work. I would have taken pictures for the entertainment value, but I was doing this STARTING at 10PM and didn't finish until 4AM because my cleanliness OCD kicked in hard. I mean I scrubbed that crud and junk off for bloody HOURS it felt like... my goodness.

As I'm removing the electricals and hoses from the intake manifold, I found a wee little mouse cooked solid on the driver side between the valve cover and the intake. The fur and body shape... perfectly in tact. But when I put the air to it... it literally blew apart into dust. That goodness for my N95 mask... yuck!

Anywho... I replaced with Fel-Pro stuff the following
- Valve cover seals
- Valve cover bolt seals
- Intake manifold seal (the updated design)
- TB seal
- Valley cover seal and o-rings
- Injector O-rings
- Fuel pressure regulator o-rings (some guy at my shop had some so he was like... here, might as well)

Also replaced:
- Knock sensors and harness (did the high temp RTV thing on them, too)
- Crank position sensor
- Oil sending unit

Cleaned every orifice I could properly clean, as well. Truck was running great before, no codes... nothing. But after... either it's in my head or she is not only more powerful especially at midrange but also butter smooth. I am not noticing as high fuel consumption either. And weirdly it used to make this random starter clunk when starting warm but now it's totally stopped doing that. I have no idea why. Maybe the starter not being covered in oil? The intake manifold gasket was GM's clip in design and I think had a few very, very minor leaks if one can solidly judge that from the trace of oiliness that you can see seemingly passing where the gasket would be.

Anyway, know which one was leaking? Pretty sure it was the valley cover. Very small leak that would mostly just collect dust and so the oil had to migrate its way through **** and grime to eventually fall down to the ground, dropping off of the oil filter, starter, and back of the engine block. So far... 2,000 miles later... it's dry.

Just did a Hail Mary parts cannon since I was in the area and crossed my fingers. Great success.

Last edited:

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the same parts cannon plus the cam position sensor and my leak is still there, progressively getting worse. Only thing left is the rear cover and main. Glad yours is dry now!

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
Yeah that approach didnt work for me either lol. At least I know everything in there is in good shape

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the same parts cannon last year. Except we also had to do the rear main seal. And then the shop couldn’t seem to get it right and it kept leaking for months after like 2 grand in work done to replace every oil seal in the damn engine. Lol. So finally I said “look, either get this done right and stop the oil leak, or I’m going to go to another shop where I know it will be done right, and you can cover the expenses of the other shop to handle it, but if we go that route I’m done doing business here” which he also didn’t want to hear because I do a crap ton of detailing work for them. The finally got it fixed. But all I know was that my rear main seal, and my oil pan gasket both had to be redone.... I’m like seriously..... but at least it’s not leaking anymore.... lol

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan