Replace Tahoe With Either 2013-2014-2015 Yukon Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robin 53

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looking to replace 06 Tahoe with 13,14,or 15 Yukon Denali with 6.2 and HD towing package. Will be towing approx. 7600 lbs. Which is better vehicle for me.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
2015 is next model year that brings into play 2015i vs 2015 or … early 2015 had the 07-14’s 6 SP trans prior to GM’s bungled 8 SP trans up until ?? Until they implemented the proven 10 SP that resolved the debacle.

GM went to a 2WD option in 09 on Denali & Escalade. The tow rating increases slightly w/ 2WD. Expand your search to the clone Escalade if the price is right. Platinum Escalade have leather covered dash that don’t crack and TriCoat paint that doesn’t have clear coat that washes away.

09 is the pick for both vehicles as the L9H 6.2L that year does not have cylinder deactivation (AFM) but still has e85 compatibility unlike the 07/08. In 09 HP jumps from 385 to 403 for both.

09 & 10 Denali (optional) & Esky (standard) heated by air & a/c seats for happy wife. 11-14 GM removed the TED a/c unit in the front seat and only ran a fan with a heated mat.

Last edited:

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with petethepug. Depending where you live however, may dictate what you would consider buying. If you life in a salt free area, or plan on buying from a salt free area, then take the above advice and get yourself a decent vehicle, at a reasonable price. (Those years have adjusted down as of recently I've noticed as well 2007-09, some 11-14 as well). I have a 2008 and love the simplicity of maintenance and ride quality. The 6 speed trans is sufficient for most needs (quite an improvement over the 4 speed). However, they did have growing pains early on and I've personally owned 2 with replaced transmissions. The bugs were worked out for the later years as far as I know (I had a 2018 Sierra with the 6 speed and it was stellar).

I currently also have a 2017 Denali for my wife with the 8 speed trans. It was a POS at 43K. Took it to my friend at GM dealership and he watched the torque converter slippage and said they needed to flush the old fluid out. Flushed it with updated fluid, ran perfect. Did another service 40K later and still working well.

The LS 6.2L motors are super simple and dependable as heck (non-AFM models). The LT 6.2L motors are buttery smooth and the torque comes on strong and there is a definite difference with the new direct injection fuel delivery. I'm a guy who likes it K.I.S.S method for life and the jury is still out for me on the longevity of direct injection motors vs. previous generations.

Lots to consider. Don't hesitate to chew on this more if needed........

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
7600 is a lot of trailer for a Yukon/Tahoe. I'd at least look at the longer-wheelbase Yukon XL or Suburban. Wheelbase of tow vehicle makes a huge difference in towing comfort and stability. Longer is always better.

7600 is also a lot of weight for a half-ton. You'll want to make sure you check your weights to make sure you're not overloading anything. The rear axle is what you need to focus on. It doesn't like being overloaded.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking to replace 06 Tahoe with 13,14,or 15 Yukon Denali with 6.2 and HD towing package. Will be towing approx. 7600 lbs. Which is better vehicle for me.
The advantage to the '13 or '14 Denali over the '15 is that it has an AWD transfer case, which means it splits the torque ~50/50 between the front and rear axles, which is important in a vehicle with a 10-bolt rear axle. 10-bolts don't hold up well when towing heavy and also doing all of the work, such as in a part-time 4wd configuration where they end up doing 100% of the work, 99% of the time. If you choose a 2wd Denali, you will get a 14-bolt rear end which is far more stout and can handle the load and torque.

I agree that you'll be at the upper limit of what the truck can handle, but it should work out fine as long as you have a WDH that's properly set up.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Come to california to buy the SUV the car market all ready collapsed here

you can get a 2013 tahoe for pennies on the dollar best deal i have seen so far is a 2013 for $10,000... with 124k miles on it last year they could have gotten 18 or 19k so it's half off more then likely you could offer 5-6k for it and they would take it.. just point out the 7$ a gallon gas price and it's 13mpg rating

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The motor will pull that weight all day long and then some. We are rated for over 10K in our Sierras with a Gen IV 6.2. When looking at any of those years you need to pick one with the HD cooling systems (KNP, KC4) and the proper gearing. The '13s and '14s you want 3.42 (GU6) gears and the 2015 Denali will come with 3.23 (GU5) gears.

I like the integrated trailer brake controller, JL1 on the RPO sheet. All three of ours have them.

The longer wheelbase will make towing easier. All of these years have the ultimate in towing software, Trailer Sway Control, Hill Start Assist, Cruise Grade Braking Normal Mode and Powertrain Grade Braking Normal Mode among other things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSpork