Replace motor mounts???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not on a tahoe. But yes. Unbolt the mount. Floor jack under the oil pan. But block it to distribute the weight.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sort of yes
was replacing the engine on a Silverado 5.7 and the owner decided to change the engine mounts after we had set the engine in place. it was a pain but possible but it was also a while ago so i dont remember enough to give you direction.

OP
OP
Squirrelsmith

Squirrelsmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im going to do it at a friends that has a engine hoist, does that help me?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im going to do it at a friends that has a engine hoist, does that help me?

Personal preference, I guess. IMO, unless you find a convenient place to hook the chains, jacking it up from the bottom is about as easy as you can get. I don't like putting much pressure on the oil pan, but if you spread out the load with a piece of 2x6 instead of putting the jack's pad directly on it, you should be ok. There's absolutely NO reason to pull the motor. You only need to lift it high enough to slip the mounts out and in. I go until the distributor just makes contact with the firewall. This provides more than enough clearance.

OP
OP
Squirrelsmith

Squirrelsmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personal preference, I guess. IMO, unless you find a convenient place to hook the chains, jacking it up from the bottom is about as easy as you can get. I don't like putting much pressure on the oil pan, but if you spread out the load with a piece of 2x6 instead of putting the jack's pad directly on it, you should be ok. There's absolutely NO reason to pull the motor. You only need to lift it high enough to slip the mounts out and in. I go until the distributor just makes contact with the firewall. This provides more than enough clearance.
Right on thanks

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This sucker look like its moovin a lot?

I don't remember how much the stock mount would flex, but it surely doesn't look broken/completely separated. Maybe worn and stretching at most. If it were broken, the engine would hop up when you jabbed the throttle then slam down when you let off. Unless you're not jabbing the throttle sharply enough for it to lift.

willxfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed the motor mounts out on my 1998 rig about 4 years ago. This is what they looked like. I dont recall how much movement there was but the engine was out for an overhaul. I bought the energy suspension polyurethane inserts for the clam shells. Also did the transmission mount at the same time. I just couldn't bring myself to buy the cheap Chinese aftermarket mounts so I spent the money on the energy suspension ones...

DSC00285.JPG DSC00286.JPG