Replace factory system & keep DVD player

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoeDirte

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm looking at purchasing an '04 Yukon SLT with Bose system and a roof mount DVD player. The DVD player has wireless headphones and the previous owner installed a switch in the dash to play the DVD audio through the speakers or not, if that matters.

If I bought the truck, I'd swap all the audio components, receiver, amp, speakers, sub, but I'd want to keep the DVD player working. I've seen adapters that keep the Bose/OnStar/dinging working. I wouldn't need the Bose or Onstar, but the dinging would be nice. I can't find any mention of this effecting the DVD player.

Crutchfield has a warning saying "You'll lose the factory Video Entertainment feature if you replace the factory radio." Does that mean the DVD player is a paper weight if swap out everything else?

TIA

04surftaco

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Factory DVD

Hi I just installed a Kenwood DNX8120. I am very happy with the outcome. The key is making sure your head unit has dual zone. I used a single video cable from the RCA output and ran it back to the rear DVD system. I pulled the 3 inputs inside and connected the single RCA. I can watch video on the front and rear dvd screens, or watch video in the back and listen to music in the front. The headphones still work perfect. I need to find a factory plug to RCA so that I can play a dvd from the rear player and get sound from the speakers, don't have that yet but will. Very simple install but if you have the bose amp you need the bose/onstar harness or your door chimes will drive you nuts! Hope that helps and let me know if you have any questions.

Anthony

2004 Tahoe LT (MA)
Reaction score
Hi I just installed a Kenwood DNX8120. I am very happy with the outcome. The key is making sure your head unit has dual zone. I used a single video cable from the RCA output and ran it back to the rear DVD system. I pulled the 3 inputs inside and connected the single RCA. I can watch video on the front and rear dvd screens, or watch video in the back and listen to music in the front. The headphones still work perfect. I need to find a factory plug to RCA so that I can play a dvd from the rear player and get sound from the speakers, don't have that yet but will. Very simple install but if you have the bose amp you need the bose/onstar harness or your door chimes will drive you nuts! Hope that helps and let me know if you have any questions.

Explain this in more detail please? I have a '04 Tahoe LT with Bose/Onstar and Overhead DVD and would like it all to still work after i install a aftermarket Double DIN DVD Deck

04surftaco

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Factory DVD/Aftermarket DVD headunit

As long as on you DVD player you have the AUX inputs you can use the rear screen to play video from the front. You use a single RCA video cable, do not run the audio, and you use the screen in the back in AUX mode. The plugs will screw out and you can hide them inside the unit. My kenwood HU has dual mode so I can play video sound in the back with or without the headphones, while the wife and I listen to what ever up front. Can't use the ipod in video and music mode though, ipod's problem. You will lose sound from the rear dvd player. The plug for sound plugged into the factory radio with a harness. I've heard that they make a harness to convert that plug to RCA's when I find it, everything will work like factory only better. I'll post a link if I can find it.

Shovel

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Which way do you route the single RCA video cable back to the factory DVD screen? Through the headliner somehow???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick