Repair transmission before or after trade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hokieman2009

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everybody, So I have a 2005 Tahoe with just over 200,000 miles and yesterday 3rd and 4th gear stopped working. Took it ti the shop and they told e I need a new transmission for $2700. That's not happening on a 12 yer old Tahoe with over 200,00 miles. So my question is, should I have the truck repaired before I trade it in on a new Sierra or should I just trade it in as is? any insight will be greatly appreciated Thanks

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Why would you spend the money to repair the trans, then get rid of it? If you're going to repair it, you might as well keep it. Also, $2700 for a trans is a little $$!

OP
OP
H

hokieman2009

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was just wondering if I tried to trade it in with it needing a new transmission, if that would kill the trade in value?

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I'm sure it will if they'll take it for a test drive. But again, if they know it has 200,000 they might not even bother, all depends on the salesman/dealership.

OP
OP
H

hokieman2009

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Got it. Thanks for the advice. I am going to get a second opinion on it tomorrow, but it sounds like I'm going to just keep it as is

NowZoomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KBB puts its value at $2-4K without the huge mileage so yeah ... not a wise option

2016YUKONSLT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try a salvage yard for a transmission and then trade it in? Or find another transmission place. I've had built trans done for $800 on f-bodies that took a ton of abuse.

TahoYukon Forum

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everybody, So I have a 2005 Tahoe with just over 200,000 miles and yesterday 3rd and 4th gear stopped working. Took it ti the shop and they told e I need a new transmission for $2700. That's not happening on a 12 yer old Tahoe with over 200,00 miles. So my question is, should I have the truck repaired before I trade it in on a new Sierra or should I just trade it in as is? any insight will be greatly appreciated Thanks

I concur with tonyrods, 2700 is a bit high, but what warranty are they offering?
$2000 for my 03 Tahoe with 250k in NE Kansas. Took in for firm 1/2 shift, like it had a shift kit, they said band is wearing out. Tech even said change fluid a few times (fluid was normal color for age if changed regularly), and check back... Well... It's been 3 years since and firm shifts have gone away for the most part and I pull a very large Zero turn with Cat desiel mower on dovetail. I am planning to have them rebuild when needed cause these power trains are very reliable... And I just love my Tahoe.
Good luck though. ☺