Removing the rear AC unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bradley J Fontana

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey y'all,

this is my first post so bear with me. Please feel free to correct my lingo as i am kind of a caveman with naming things (ie plastic thingy)

I just bought my dad's '03 5.3L Tahoe and having been converting it into kind of a camper/overlanding truck. There is a lot i want to put into the rear cab and space has grown increasingly limited. I replaced the headliner with a thinner insulation pad and therefore have no need for the big bulky rear AC unit behind the plastic thingy on the right.

My question to y'all is will I have problems removing the unit due to its connection to A/C and coolant hoses. Any tips for sealing off these hoses without screwing up the front A/C or coolant? Should I seek professional help or is it something I can figure out?

Tips or experience appreciated

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can replace the T-fittings for the heater hoses at the firewall with straight fittings. Not sure about modifying the AC lines.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics, please.

Askold_JB

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Any tips for sealing off these hoses without screwing up the front A/C or coolant?

Hello. Thought about it too (but for an other reason). Then remembered we have around -5F in winter, and decided to keep rear heater/AC working.

IMHO you only need to replace T-connections (genuine are 15055342, 15055343) on coolant lines with straight fittings (guess Dorman 800-403 or 15119175 or similar must fit), as 89Suburban already said.
As for A/C lines, I am not sure, looks like it could be few options how it is made on different modifications, but main ideas are:
1) Cut the lines and plug them
2) Cut the lines anywhere (under the hood, under the middle of the car etc) and connect it in a loop.

You can check how A/C control module and BCM will operate if you just unplug all wiring from the rear A/C. My guess that would be no reaction.

UPD:
Ah, seems it is a very common issue, so just google for Rear AC Block OFF kits and topics.
https://www.amazon.com/BK7055-Rear-Block-Off-Kit/dp/B06X9F3GXS
Many of them

OP
OP
B

Bradley J Fontana

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello. Thought about it too (but for an other reason). Then remembered we have around -5F in winter, and decided to keep rear heater/AC working.

IMHO you only need to replace T-connections (genuine are 15055342, 15055343) on coolant lines with straight fittings (guess Dorman 800-403 or 15119175 or similar must fit), as 89Suburban already said.
As for A/C lines, I am not sure, looks like it could be few options how it is made on different modifications, but main ideas are:
1) Cut the lines and plug them
2) Cut the lines anywhere (under the hood, under the middle of the car etc) and connect it in a loop.

You can check how A/C control module and BCM will operate if you just unplug all wiring from the rear A/C. My guess that would be no reaction.

UPD:
Ah, seems it is a very common issue, so just google for Rear AC Block OFF kits and topics.
https://www.amazon.com/BK7055-Rear-Block-Off-Kit/dp/B06X9F3GXS
Many of them

Awesome, that helps a lot. Thank you guys!

02Z71Raven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did it work? I removed mine. No problems blocking off lines but my front climate controls are not working now. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with stuff removed/unplugged from the rear.

02Z71Raven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did it work? I removed mine. No problems blocking off lines but my front climate controls are not working now. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with stuff removed/unplugged from the rear.
Found the problem. I missed a connector on the mid right side that connects to the HVAC box.
Everything is working so far.
All ac pieces replaced except the compressor.my motor guy is going to do the refresh or swap on the motor in a couple of weeks, so I figured I'd wait to recharge until after he does all that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9