Removing accumulator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blizz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do any of the nuts on the side that go to the evap turn or will I have to twist off the accumulator? I'm having a hard time getting this thing to turn. I'm thinking of cutting the accumulator off at the nut to get it out of the way and then just work on taking the nut off. I also heard of guys cutting into the nut itself just before they get to the threads and breaking it off that way. Any tips?

OP
OP
blizz

blizz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it!! Man I was sure they were seized and frozen. I tapped the nut a few times with a small hammer then put two adjustable wrenches and did the two handed squeeze method and it broke free. I couldn't believe it. Now I just have to put the new one in, the new hose, new compressor and orifice tube and put oil in. My question now is with the system be open between when I put everything back in and when I get it filled? How long can it be that way?

Last edited:

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
put some light masking tape on all opening now. blue paint tape is better if you got it. something with light adhesion.

---------- Post added at 11:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 AM ----------

can leave it that way as long as covered just don't open and install drier till last minute possible.

---------- Post added at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 AM ----------

just make sure you get a good vacuum on it for a couple of hours before charging.

OP
OP
blizz

blizz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just took out the orifice tube. It had some small shavings on it. That stops them from getting into the condenser right? What about the evap? Should I flush it? Is that something I can do?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
yes yo may have to search for the equipment/parts but if shaving are in there you should flush to remove as much as possible. got pics or details on shavings? miniscule, small or big? analyze it so we can determine how to proceed. if they are minute then get going with repair and get system back online.

between these two pdf's you can become proficient in the work. save them anybody who is reading this and always share.

http://www.ariazone.com/manuals/Automotive Air Conditioning Training Manual.pdf

http://www.volkspage.net/technik/manuaisecatalogos/01/AutomotiveHeatingandAirConditioning.pdf

---------- Post added at 01:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 PM ----------

breeze thru both before continuing to teach yourself the theory's.

OP
OP
blizz

blizz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When filled with freon it worked well. Just all leaked out a day later. The plan was to take everything out out new stuff in then take it somewhere to vac and recharge. Now with a flush needed I'm not sure how to proceed. I'll call around tomorrow for pricing and suggestions. I can't put it all back together and take it somewhere for a flush cuz they need it open. The flush kit is $50 but I'll never use it again so I don't want to buy it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Milano_II