Remove springs from struts help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tgui

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a nice spring compressor but not sure how much of the top of the strut comes off and what nuts to turn once the spring is compressed.

Any help or links?

a8lE2AP.jpg

OP
OP
T

tgui

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like one long nut on top of a short wider nut?

I have another car to get to work just feeling like an idiot.

hHbywBU.jpg

OP
OP
T

tgui

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Duhh, 2 deep sockets right? Sorry for the train of thought thread!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure that topmost "nut" is the connector for the Autoride and there should be a larger nut inside that hole that is threaded on the shock's shaft.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
have to remove the bolts, here is video on how to do it if you happen to have the nice $1400 spring compressor lol, but same procedure if your just using a regular spring compressor

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Not sure if you are reusing the struts but on the autoride struts if you let the shaft spin while you are loosening or tightening the nut the struts will be ruined.

The long "nut" on top is indeed the connector for the auto ride.

The nut below that... the one that is counter sunk into the top plate, is the one that needs to be removed to disassemble the struts and remove the spring.

I used a pass through socket set and a pair of vise grips on the tip of the shaft :eek:

Something like these...
rps20180903_204743_759.jpg rps20180903_204858_380.jpg