Remove springs from struts help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you are reusing the struts but on the autoride struts if you let the shaft spin while you are loosening or tightening the nut the struts will be ruined.

The long "nut" on top is indeed the connector for the auto ride.

The nut below that... the one that is counter sunk into the top plate, is the one that needs to be removed to disassemble the struts and remove the spring.

I used a pass through socket set and a pair of vise grips on the tip of the shaft :eek:

Something like these...
View attachment 206617 View attachment 206618

I knew there was a caveat! I guess they say to grip the shaft of the old one with Visegrips since you're replacing that strut anyway. But if you gotta return it as a core to get money back, you're gonna have to do it the correct way and invest or borrow a pass-through socket which you'll need anyway to install the new one.

Knowing me, I'll buy a socket from Hazard Fraught, slice the back off of it and weld a bar to it for turning leverage. Although, I'm ditching Autoride with the Belltech struts so whatevs.

OP
OP
T

tgui

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you are reusing the struts but on the autoride struts if you let the shaft spin while you are loosening or tightening the nut the struts will be ruined.

The long "nut" on top is indeed the connector for the auto ride.

The nut below that... the one that is counter sunk into the top plate, is the one that needs to be removed to disassemble the struts and remove the spring.

I used a pass through socket set and a pair of vise grips on the tip of the shaft :eek:

Something like these...
View attachment 206617 View attachment 206618

Very neat.

Just so I can learn why does spinning the shaft hurt autoride struts?

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I knew there was a caveat! I guess they say to grip the shaft of the old one with Visegrips since you're replacing that strut anyway. But if you gotta return it as a core to get money back, you're gonna have to do it the correct way and invest or borrow a pass-through socket which you'll need anyway to install the new one.

Knowing me, I'll buy a socket from Hazard Fraught, slice the back off of it and weld a bar to it for turning leverage. Although, I'm ditching Autoride with the Belltech struts so whatevs.

Yeah the pass thru sockets are just about a must... or cut and weld as you mentioned... because of the nut sitting below the surrounding metal.

I also went to the Belltech drop stuts... I wish they were a little stiffer but they are not bad... not sure if they would be any stiffer with less drop... ie more pre tension on the spring.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Very neat.

Just so I can learn why does spinning the shaft hurt autoride struts?

I have no idea... that is just what I remember reading... I would assume there is something inside that gets damaged and won't allow the autoride to function any longer.

OP
OP
T

tgui

Full Access Member
Reaction score
***** apart now. Not like I anticipated but it happened. The spring compressor worked well. The 2nd nut on the strut was fairly welded in place. I actually had to grind a place to clamp to remove it. Also the strut broke in half. Yeah....

Broken apart
ncgxtit.jpg

Ground place to grasp
xSPrt2m.jpg

Ready to twist with fancy sockets
UwGIEBy.jpg

All in pieces
w7AYnIg.jpg