Remove ABS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RSTahoe99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, hydroboost does remove the booster from the braking system. I'm pretty sure you have to have an adapter plate fabricated to mount the hydroboost reservoir to your firewall. Then run high pressure lines from your power steering pump and steering gear box. I'm not sure the exact procedure. There is more about the conversion in this thread from Whippled2dr:

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1408&highlight=hydroboost

You are right about the brakes being hard if the booster goes out. All I can say is that your still getting air in the lines from somewhere. Air is what causes the spongey feeling 90% of the time. I too, have the spongey feeling in my brakes a little, but just decided to live with it until I convert to hydroboost.

Hydroboost replaces the vacuum booster with a hydralic booster that runs off of the power steering hydralic circuit.

nimrodcs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oops.....

Hydroboost replaces the vacuum booster with a hydralic booster that runs off of the power steering hydralic circuit.

Yeah, sorry. Forgot to mention the hydraulic booster. You wouldn't get anywhere with just a master cylinder. lol

Hydraulic Power Brake Booster from Rockauto.com $173.79:

hydbster.jpg

OP
OP
E

EpicRasta

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I wish i could just drop off my truck some where and have them:
1) remove the ABS

2) install hydroboost

I'm pretty sure that would solve any and ALL braking issues with these trucks. Well, except stopping on ice LOL.

nimrodcs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish i could just drop off my truck some where and have them:
1) remove the ABS

2) install hydroboost

I'm pretty sure that would solve any and ALL braking issues with these trucks. Well, except stopping on ice LOL.

Yeah, that would be nice. You'd probably have to find a custom shop to do it though. A regular service shop probably wouldn't touch a hydroboost conversion with a 20ft. pole, let alone remove the ABS.

972drtahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I saw your post on your removing the abs and putting a proportioning valve in, it appears that that may have happened in my abs unit, no fluid going to the back lines, and it apppears that it might be just better to do your fix. I checked summit for a proportioning valve, but was wondering if you remember what you bought. Thanks 97 2 door tahoe 4wd.