Refurbish Interior Cost? (2012 Suburban)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hound_dog

Reaction score
So I'm looking at replacing my wife's 2007 Tahoe 2WD LS with a newer Suburban with 4WD. I found one near me that looks great on the outside and has 100k miles being sold by the original owner. It's an LTZ so it has a lot of options our LS lacks. Anyway here's what I'm looking for some advice about...

The dash is cracked in many places...what's it cost to replace?
The perforated leather interior is fairly worn, can they all be replaced easily?
The carpets and seat belts are dirty and worn too...replacements?

I'm making the assumption that the seller has already tried to clean it before sale so I'm guessing that I can't get it any cleaner and these parts would need to be replaced.

Am I looking at $1k, $2k or more in parts to do this?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dash part(s) alone are near $1,000 after shipping. You can get premade leather replacement kits to refresh all the upholstery. I've been out of the interior game for almost 20 years, but I'd guess a kit for a vehicle of this size would easily be around $1,000. I don't know your skill set, but I'm sure after a few YouTube videos and the purchase of a few inexpensive specialty tools (which may end up just being some hog rings and pliers), most anyone could replace the covers. Carpet kits are available or many people have had success pulling the original carpet out and shampooing, scrubbing and pressure washing it. You can spray paint the badly stained areas with special paints such as SEM Color Coat. But if it's worn too badly, you're better off just replacing it.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been checking out the seat shop. They have a youtube video and their quality seems really good. I think they charge $240 or something like that for seat cover replacements. They are leather and look exactly like the factory. You may need to replace the seat cushion foam too, they squish over time. My 09 needs just the drivers bottom replaced soon, it's the only seat showing wear.

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been checking out the seat shop. They have a youtube video and their quality seems really good. I think they charge $240 or something like that for seat cover replacements. They are leather and look exactly like the factory. You may need to replace the seat cushion foam too, they squish over time. My 09 needs just the drivers bottom replaced soon, it's the only seat showing wear.

That's exactly the one that I need replaced too, along with the cushion. I went to my trim shop and they wanted 350 to replace the padding, and replace the whole unit with leather. The cheap vinyl was cracked up over time along the side, and they said leather would help that a lot.

I had some expenses come up, so I couldnt do it at that time, but it's on the burbs to-do list.

I also want to replace the carpet, its about 299 for a preformed kit.

I also want to replace the headliner.....but that looks like a no go right not. I cannot find anything in junkyards.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm looking at replacing my wife's 2007 Tahoe 2WD LS with a newer Suburban with 4WD. I found one near me that looks great on the outside and has 100k miles being sold by the original owner. It's an LTZ so it has a lot of options our LS lacks. Anyway here's what I'm looking for some advice about...

The dash is cracked in many places...what's it cost to replace?

Am I looking at $1k, $2k or more in parts to do this?

This is not an LTZ dash, no center speaker but gives you an idea. I would budget $3k for the interior plus speakers.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-OEM-Instrument-Panel-Dash-23224747/112377373996

OP
OP
H

hound_dog

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the estimates and ideas. I can imagine spending $3k to get it done. I made a quick call to the local Chevy dealer a few minutes ago and they said it would be about $1,000 for the dash replacement. About the seats, I like the idea of getting all new leather...would make it look, feel and smell like a new car. We'll see how this goes.

cfmistry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just FYI... the new dash will be made of the exact same materials as your old one. What that means is that it too will crack with enough time. I would just buy the $140 plastic dash cap sold on EBay and keep the extra $860 for other repairs. I would budget $1500 for seats and $200 to clean the interior including the headliner and shampooing carpets. Random trim bits that are broken shouldn’t be more than $100. So I would do it for $2000.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just FYI... the new dash will be made of the exact same materials as your old one. What that means is that it too will crack with enough time.

We've been told that the replacement dash while of the same design is by a different vendor and more durable. The link I posted to is the latest version and was confirmed by speaking with them some time ago.

I put a dash mat on top of mine to protect it from the sun.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the shop that you went to for the seat covers probably does headliners as well, I had a headliner done in another vehicle locally where I live and it came out like new I don't remember the cost but it's wasn't bad at all (or I would remember lol)

fireboat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
In the last 3 months I have replaced the dash and front seat covers and foam on my 2008 Yukon Denali.
I did the dash my self. It wasn't anything overly complicated but it did take me a full day. I followed one guy on Youtube who was very rough on the replacement (I wouldn't want him doing my dash!) but it gave me the info I needed. I called around and found a local Chevy dealer who gave me the repair shop price, I think it was $299. Ordering it online is cost prohibitive because of the shipping. I didn't get the front panel by the windshield at the time but now I just noticed a hairline crack on mine. I'm not sure of the price but it is a lot cheaper and probably just a 30-minute job to replace. I'll do mine after the holidays.
Also, know that the replacement dash is now a stronger design than the original with extra bracing in the crack prone areas. I still went the extra mile and epoxied paint sticks in areas that I thought would help. I just couldn't bring myself to do the stick on dash caps.

I ordered the replacement seat covers from the Seat Shop. Mine are the cashmere color. I have to admit, the quality is very good and the seats are identical. I replaced the foam on the driver's side, the passenger didn't need it. According to the Seat Shop, it is rare to replace the passenger side foam. Their Youtube videos are helpful but not great. My seat frame and hardware were a bit different from what they said it would be. You do need a sturdy and large work surface to do the seats. Just realize it will take a while and you may have a few scrapes from the metal frame as you try to work the leather. But it is not hard, the clips that GM uses are great, no hog rings to deal with.
Wait for a sale, I think I paid around $700 for the leather and foam. I am going to replace the center console armrest soon. That looks more like real upholstery stuff with a staple gun and massaging the leather.

My carpet wasn't too bad so I let it go though I was considering it. If you find a good OEM carpet supplier, let me know please.

I was going to replace the seatbelt as well, but it is pretty pricey. However, I didn't want to skimp on something as important as that. So I am holding off on that for now.
I do baby my Denali that I have had since it was almost new. With the seat change and the dash, it looks great.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rddixon

Latest posts