Redhead bluetop or AGR?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DallasTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having an issue with my steering, sometimes while driving it will lock up while turning, after a few seconds it will go back to normal. All front end parts are in good working order, already inspected all that, steering box has a leak from the pitman. EVO has been bypassed and the pump is a couple years old. So I’m thinking it’s the gearbox, from what I can tell it’s the original. I’ve been looking at redhead, bluetop and Agr, I’ve head good and bad just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with any of these, I’ve seen old posts about bad customer service and warranty stuff, has it gotten any better??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a Redhead on a Bronco about five years ago and had no issues but didn’t really deal with customer service.

I put a Bluetop on my 98 a couple years ago and it has been perfect right out of the box. Core refund was pretty quick as well.

Bluetop customer service was awesome - you’re pretty much dealing with the owner and he emailed me back and forth on a Sunday afternoon with questions that I had during installation. I was shocked....you just cannot get that type of a response anywhere else these days. Their shop is in one of the Dakotas I think.

I’d buy another Bluetop with Redhead as second choice. No experience with AGR but I had a Delco that was bad straight out of the box.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DallasTahoe

DallasTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a Redhead on a Bronco about five years ago and had no issues but didn’t really deal with customer service.

I put a Bluetop on my 98 a couple years ago and it has been perfect right out of the box. Core refund was pretty quick as well.

Bluetop customer service was awesome - you’re pretty much dealing with the owner and he emailed me back and forth on a Sunday afternoon with questions that I had during installation. I was shocked....you just cannot get that type of a response anywhere else these days. Their shop is in one of the Dakotas I think.

I’d buy another Bluetop with Redhead as second choice. No experience with AGR but I had a Delco that was bad straight out of the box.

great info, I’ve heard that about Bluetop, as far as the customer service and the owner actually taking the time to connect with us common folk

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
I sent a gearbox to Redhead a few years ago because it had too much free play, even when new. Which the manufacturer said was “normal”.

I couldn’t detect any real improvement when it returned.

I’ve driven and worked on many vehicles and I know the difference between a tight steering gear and a sloppy one.

Next time I’ll choose a different vendor.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went through several Delco boxes before I got a good one, PITA.And shipping waits too. Never saw one lock up as you are describing. Scary. Good luck!

OP
OP
DallasTahoe

DallasTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here’s my problem though, spending extra money for a good one isn’t my problem, the problem is the crappy 1 year warranty. I can buy a reman unit from rock, autozone or any of the other places and get a lifetime warranty, with these premium ones they have a year and you have to hope they will honor it without nitpicking it down to nothing

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Understood, and that makes sense.

I’m just flat out done dealing with crappy parts and will spare you my soapbox speech.

Honestly, all that the Delco reman had was a shiny paint job. They didn’t give a fiddler’s fart about what they put in that box or they wouldn’t have sold it. I’ve seldom been so pissed off as I was after installing that thing and having to yank it out the same day.

Any company that sells a product betting on warranty replacement cost doesn’t deserve my money.

I figure my time is worth $100 per hour after crawling around on the garage floor and feeling it the next day. I’ll pay more for a part that works and fits right the first time, not the second or third time. Delco usually doesn’t let me down, but they did that time.

And don’t even get me started on Dorman, lol.

So much for that soapbox.

OP
OP
DallasTahoe

DallasTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Understood, and that makes sense.

I’m just flat out done dealing with crappy parts and will spare you my soapbox speech.

Honestly, all that the Delco reman had was a shiny paint job. They didn’t give a fiddler’s fart about what they put in that box or they wouldn’t have sold it. I’ve seldom been so pissed off as I was after installing that thing and having to yank it out the same day.

Any company that sells a product betting on warranty replacement cost doesn’t deserve my money.

I figure my time is worth $100 per hour after crawling around on the garage floor and feeling it the next day. I’ll pay more for a part that works and fits right the first time, not the second or third time. Delco usually doesn’t let me down, but they did that time.

And don’t even get me started on Dorman, lol.

So much for that soapbox.
I’m with you there, I’m about to rebuild the whole front end on my rig, and the gearbox is what I’m dreading the most, tie rods and stuff is easy, but yankin stuff out after I just put it in is the worst, well that and the soreness the next day lol. Paying a premium for something with only a year warranty seems almost the same, you pay more for quality but don’t get the backing.

Cyclemoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Installed a Bluetop in my ‘06 2500 suburban and couldn’t be happier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjvieira

Latest posts