Reconditioning my L9H Tahoe/OEM+ Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

09 L9H

not a boomer
Reaction score
I think this thread has been a long time coming. I'm gonna start from the beginning.

I moved to a new area in June of 2018 and was in the market for a new vehicle. My dad had let me take his 2004 F-150 with me to school, and since I had just graduated, he was going to let me keep it for a while until I could find something I wanted to buy. The truck was starting to have some issues, and at almost 225k miles, it wasn't unexpected. I had been looking for an early 200-series Land Cruiser, but I was having trouble finding one for a reasonable price. There was no way I could pay $800/mo for a used truck, much less one that was 10 years old.

I was doing some searching on Autotrader one night and decided to look for a 6.2 Tahoe. I knew GM had made a few in 2008 and 2009, but wanted to see how many were up for sale. Lo and behold, there was one for sale 3 miles down the road for me, and I decided to go check it out the next day.

When I got to the car lot, I quickly figured out that the listing had hidden some pretty glaring imperfections. The dash was cracked horribly in multiple places and there was a big dent in the passenger side door, along with various missing interior and exterior trim pieces. Despite these issues, I pulled the trigger and bought the truck for just under $17k out the door.

Here's how it looked the night I brought it home:

IMG_9810.jpeg

It didn't take too long for me to get to work on it. I removed the bug shield and running boards pretty quickly, and a few days later I got 275/60R20 BFGoodrich KO2s and new front wheel bearings. The wheel bearings were unplanned and my wallet took a nice hit.

IMG_0009.jpeg

I also installed a Sony XAV-AX5000 CarPlay head unit and integrated it with a PAC RP5-GM31, and I've been very happy with both. I also did @NathanJax 's in-dash USB port mod, which is fantastic.

From there, I made a list of everything that was missing or broken on the truck and started buying parts. This included the front valence/air dam, tow hooks and tow hook trim surrounds, fog lights, OEM painted fuel door, hitch closeout, and some small trim pieces on the interior. Most of these I've installed within the past few months.

I also installed an Airaid Jr. intake a few weeks ago. I honestly can't feel a difference in performance, but I don't regret the purchase.

This past week, I got the dent fixed paintlessly by Dent Pro Upstate in Greenville. They did great work and I'd recommend them to anyone.

Before:
IMG_0056.jpeg

After:
IMG_0605.jpeg
It's not perfect, but at the end of the day it's a 10-year old truck and you can barely tell. I'm very happy with how it turned out.

That pretty much brings me to where the truck is now.
IMG_0614.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
09 L9H

09 L9H

not a boomer
Reaction score
Here's what I'm planning to do in the coming months:

I bought the Denali/Escalade roof rack off of eBay for $150+ $55 shipping. Talk about a steal. It should get here next week, but I'm not going to install it until I buy the end caps and have them painted.

I bought Diode Dynamics SL1 LED fogs and low beams, but the low beams don't fit because the heat sink hits the fender. I'm pretty happy with the fogs though and will post pictures of output soon. I'm going to return the lows and am considering buying a pair of retrofitted headlights from BFC at some point in the future. I can't see anything at night with my lows and my lenses are yellowed.

Ranch Hand grille guard (GGC07HBL1)--planning on buying before deer season, so I've still got some time.

King coilovers--these are pretty expensive so I'm going to have to save for a while before I can buy them. Not sure how long it will take. PNs are 25001-148 and 25001-150.

GM 9597227 rims--I'm big on OEM rims and this is my favorite style from the GMT900 generation. Not sure when this will happen either, as I live in an apartment and won't have room to store my current rims while I try to sell them.
2010-chevrolet-suburban-7-4_1600x0w.jpg

BBP Tune--If they're in Atlanta anytime soon, I'll be there too.

Hyperflash delete from WAMS--I have LED bulbs that have been waiting to be installed in my turn signals for months. Still waiting to hear back from them, it seems like they're pretty busy at the moment.

I'm also debating on whether or not I want to get my dash replaced. Local dealer quoted me $1100 for parts and labor and I'm just not sure if it'd be worth it or not.

Escalade Mirrors: PNs 25831078, 25776162

Last edited:

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Steady work. Future plans sound good.

Theres the exhaust resonator delete in the rear (free mod?).maybe @Fosscore can help me out with the proper name. And disable afm.

I vote you keep the oem wheels on it now. Much cleaner looking wheel. Those other wheels you posted have a chrome plastic cover, you can remove the chrome and have a clean 5 spoke alloy wheel with a decent dish to it. It's a ton of work tho.

So you dont have the Escalade rack caps ?

OP
OP
09 L9H

09 L9H

not a boomer
Reaction score
Steady work. Future plans sound good.

Theres the exhaust resonator delete in the rear (free mod?).maybe @Fosscore can help me out with the proper name. And disable afm.

I vote you keep the oem wheels on it now. Much cleaner looking wheel. Those other wheels you posted have a chrome plastic cover, you can remove the chrome and have a clean 5 spoke alloy wheel with a decent dish to it. It's a ton of work tho.

So you dont have the Escalade rack caps ?
I don't think I'll do the resonator delete, as I like the way the exhaust sounds now (and I also like the look of the resonator). If I do anything, I'll delete the center muffler and put a straight pipe in its place.

Thankfully I don't have AFM, I'm pretty sure it got added in 2010. And no, I do not have the caps. I've been looking for a painted set on eBay, but it's hard to find them in Graystone Metallic.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
If you have a buffer, you could clean up those headlights some. Quick and Easy--get some 3M plastic polish or even regular compound and buff them out. Comes out pretty decent. Will def get you by till you can buy another set.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your Tahoe is the same color as mine, and that roof rack is so tempting now! My concern is the lack of being able to wrap bungie cords around it when I go camping. There doesn't seem to be as many connecting spots on those.

OP
OP
09 L9H

09 L9H

not a boomer
Reaction score
Your Tahoe is the same color as mine, and that roof rack is so tempting now! My concern is the lack of being able to wrap bungie cords around it when I go camping. There doesn't seem to be as many connecting spots on those.
Yeah if you’re actually gonna use your rack, I wouldn’t buy this one haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodlife_chevy