Recommended upgrades for S/C'd 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rushr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I found out that I have a rod knock and need to either replace or rebuild the motor. The quote I have right now is 2,920 for another used motor installed. I've been thinking about things to have done while it is out. I'm trying to keep the cost minimal as possible, but thought I would see if there are any recommendations while the motor is out. I have the whipple charger. My main thought at the moment is Cams, but I'm not sure which ones are the best for being s/c'd.

branndon_b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
unless you're planning on going into the motor with some more meat, you might wanna consider just getting a long block from a parts house with a warranty, and just play dumb if you tear it up before the warranty is up. you could pull all your s/c stuff off before you try to make a claim. just a thought. hate for you to spend money on a rebuilt "stock" motor, unless it comes with some kind of warranty. just look around, some of those crate motors come with a 3/36K mi warranty.

OP
OP
R

rushr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've looked into some of the crate motors a little bit, but the ones I have found seem to cost more than my whole install/motor combined. I just don't have that much to fork out at the moment. I would love to go with crate though. The motor I'd be getting comes with a 6 month warranty and the shop said he would warranty their work for lifetime. It's better than nothing.

OP
OP
R

rushr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are my current thoughts. I talked to a machine shop today and they said they could rebuild mine and balance it for about $1700 and then it would be another $1600 to install the supercharger and and do the initial removal and re-install. For an extra $650 or so I can have it stroked to a 383. So for about $4k I can have a supercharged 383...Thoughts?

_Dylan_

STAY FROSTY
Reaction score
Can you remove the engine yourself?

I would go for the rebuilt 383. The used engine for 3k isn't much better than the engine in the truck right now, IMO. Who says the used engine isn't going to break down in a month? At least with a good rebuild you can expect it to last.

OP
OP
R

rushr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you remove the engine yourself?

I would go for the rebuilt 383. The used engine for 3k isn't much better than the engine in the truck right now, IMO. Who says the used engine isn't going to break down in a month? At least with a good rebuild you can expect it to last.

I don't really have the time or place to do it. That and I've never done something to that extent, although I'm sure it isn't extremely difficult...just tedious probably.

branndon_b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you just take lots of pictures and label your lines and wires and stuff, it's really not that bad, just time consuming like you said. it's more important to take your time with gasket and seal prep so you don't have leaks later. you could probably pull your motor and tranny out without much "formal" training in a weekend easily. just be ready to make a mess. invest in or borrow a torque wrench to get your torque specs right. but if you don't need your vehicle immediately, it can be done shadetree-style.

---------- Post added at 08:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 AM ----------

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...yWord=vortec+350+long+block&fromString=search

just quicker turnaround. no guarantees on the quality of the rebuild, but it comes with 3 yrs of warranty. i'm not trying to talk you out of rebuilding yours, just saying that you can get one for around the price they're quoting you. granted, it won't have any go-fast stuff in it, or be especially balanced or blueprinted, but it would have warranty. and especially if you're gonna beat on it, it may be worth looking into. also depends on the terms of the replacement, if you manage to break it before the warranty is up, they may just pro-rate it instead of a no strings attached warranty in and out the door with a new motor. just some ideas.

Tacky

Reaction score
It has been a dozen years since I worked in a GM dealership, but $2900 seems like a huge amount for a used 350. And like others have said, it is not much better than what is in the truck now. I would go with a remanufactured engine, or a crate motor, and spend the extra. BTW, if you want more power, like with your supercharger, like my dad said, if you want to play, you gotta pay.

OP
OP
R

rushr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I definitely agree with the pay to play comment.

My quote was originally broken down as follows:

Complete Engine with 140K - $1350
R&R Engine/Includes R&R S/C - $1250
Fluids - $150
Oil Change - $42.99
Shop Cost - $12.00
Taxes - $165.30

Total: $2920.29

Since the motor I would be getting from them wasn't rebuilt or anything and pretty much pulled straight out of another vehicle I figured it was worth the extra few hundred to have mine taken and rebuilt, at least then the motor will basically have all new parts internally. The place that quoted me the rebuild can't do the removal/install though. From the few sites I've looked at I don't have the funds to spring for a crate and pay to install it.

The two things I'm debating right now is to have my current motor rebuilt and balanced for about $1700 or pay the extra and stroke it to a 383 (cost would be about 2350). I don't really have more than $4K to spend for the motor and install. I wish I had the time and place to do it myself, but I don't.

The warranty on the rebuild is 12month/12000miles

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cpellegrino