Rear quarter panel body damage question..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One body shop near me has over 100 cars in the yard waiting to get into the shop or waiting on parts. They're not taking any new jobs until June.

The two PDR guys had a week's delay in getting in. Good time to be a body man!

One of my uncle's had a body shop and I would go to work with him as a boy. When my '80 Toyota Corolla was seemingly totaled in a rear end collision, he chopped it in half and put on a new back half from another Corolla and his daughter drove it for years. We couldn't tell that anything was done. He was good.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife got clipped in Dec on the nose of her Jag….It just got fixed last week with no parts needed. Body shops are a minimum of three months down here and some of them just flat out cannot get the body panels especially of very new vehicles….

Pro299

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a panel replacement, but not totaled. Got sideswiped last month in the same spot. Panel and bumper cover job next week. $7K.

OP
OP
GoNoGo

GoNoGo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure I want to go thru months of bodyshop drama right now, mom just got her Frontier pickup out of the bodyshop after 3.5 months of waiting.

Bolted a temporary mirror to the stem body but then discovered the drivers door glass got badly scratched by the shattering mirror yesterday, it's a large area too... darn-it.

oYvBsJA.jpg

ZAizb8E.jpg

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Fast-running deer outta nowhere ran into the side of our '23 Suburban HC while was cruising 63-mph on a long straightaway. Deer's head first connected the mirror, then her body impacted the rear panel just behind the passenger door.

Doors seem to open and close properly as does the mirror's motorized stem. Of course camera 360* is partially out as well as the lane change detection and I forgot to test the lane keep function.

Anyway, does the rear quarter panel appear to be repairable with particular attention on the 2 creases, also the right-side door-jamb GAP was stretched to the rear 5/16" at the handle. I really-really-REALLY hope the entire panel won't need cut out and replaced.

View attachment 395919

View attachment 395920

View attachment 395922
Is the quarter panel out of aluminum? Aluminum is harder to work with and the PDR guys might not wanna mess with it.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
. Body shops are a minimum of three months down here and some of them just flat out cannot get the body panels especially of very new vehicles….
That's about right, same issue we had when back in January. I called like 12 shops and they were all booked for 8 to 10 weeks.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the quarter panel out of aluminum? Aluminum is harder to work with and the PDR guys might not wanna mess with it.
These ain't Ferds! Steel and double walled steel at that. Harder to work with but easier to replace panels.

My daughter backed into a tree in September, that was a $5500 bill!

20221025_095125.jpg

Her boyfriend backed into my truck and that's why I'm headed to the PDR guy tomorrow. Will post before and after pics.

Can't wait to see their car insurance rates after they tie the knot! LOL

H1Chester

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It took us 6+ months for a new grill to show up from a buzzard strike on the highway last summer. Fortunately the buzzard only punched a hole in the grille plastic mesh part and knocked off a few shutters without damage to the shutters. Grille itself was $1300.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts