Rear quarter panel body damage question..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoNoGo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fast-running deer outta nowhere ran into the side of our '23 Suburban HC while was cruising 63-mph on a long straightaway. Deer's head first connected the mirror, then her body impacted the rear panel just behind the passenger door.

Doors seem to open and close properly as does the mirror's motorized stem. Of course camera 360* is partially out as well as the lane change detection and I forgot to test the lane keep function.

Anyway, does the rear quarter panel appear to be repairable with particular attention on the 2 creases, also the right-side door-jamb GAP was stretched to the rear 5/16" at the handle. I really-really-REALLY hope the entire panel won't need cut out and replaced.

z5j4jpE.jpg

RwKUGs3.jpg

oy82dhs.jpg

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fast-running Kamikaze deer outta nowhere head butted my '23 Suburban HC while I was cruising 63 mph on a long straight local hwy yesterday afternoon. Her head first connected the mirror and her body slightly impacted the passenger door handle but mostly the rear panel.. fortunately seems perfectly drivable.

Does the rear quarter panel appear to be repairable with particular attention on the 2 creases.. and other concern is the door-jamb itself was pulled slightly rearward (at the passenger door handle).. opening up the door gap about 3/8" at the widest. These ^^^ are my biggest concerns, bondo repair or EEK !! cutting out and replacing the quarter panel sheet metal from the doorjamb to tail-light.

Doors appear to open and close good, retractable step squeaks now, but can't see any warp. Mirror stem still pivots okay and I duct-taped a little spot mirror so I can see. and both doors open and close. The retractable step makes a squeaking noise but I don't notice it warped or misaligned (as compare to the passenger side step.

View attachment 395919

View attachment 395920

View attachment 395922
Take it to a PDR guy first. That stands for Paintless Dent Repair, you'll be amazed at the dents they can fix without painting. He can't fix your mirror though!

This is where mine is going to be repaired tomorrow:

n4gkj

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
PDR aint going to fix that....
those creases and stretched metal are beyond PDR...

that will have to be replaced or filled with body filler.....

i feel for you... i had a "new" 2021 tahoe with similar damage last year...
i was mad and then sick.....
after i got it back from bodyshop i traded it in for a 2023...

good luck!!!!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PDR aint going to fix that....
those creases and stretched metal are beyond PDR...

that will have to be replaced or filled with body filler.....
I'm no expert but the guys around here did this with compound shapes:

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That stinks!

On the brighter side:
Once you get past your deductible, sky's the limit on the repair budget!
Anything is possible...

Maybe dentless can do something with this I don't know.

If there is a bank lean on it and being a new model, I am sure the bank will want it repaired to factory specification and new condition.

Since it is basically new, I would actually want to have a qualified shop cut and replace properly rather than a few quick hits with the hammer and fill the rest with body filler...
Fight for your right to get back to original condition.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had a similar situation with a new Bronco Sport. 1700 miles,but it got into the rear quarter that tied into the roof.
Long story short, they totaled it and paid us 4K more than we paid for it. Insurance didn’t want to pay the 4 months wait at the body shop and the shop said it would be a very difficult repair and no guarantee it would be perfect again…

OP
OP
GoNoGo

GoNoGo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll go visit some reputable PDR places, I could probably live with some small creases & minor imperfections as long as the major dents are removed.

I don't have any bank loans nor live in an area where I have to keep up with the Joneses :thumbsup:

Last edited:

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a cut out and re weld situation. PDR is not going to fix that. Insurance may even total it.

Resale value will be diminished as well. Sorry about your luck at least your ok..

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm no expert but the guys around here did this with compound shapes:

Dents in their website gallery were bigger than I ever expected!
Pretty impressive.

I looked and saw one company describe removing dents 44" long.

I guess technology and technique has advanced since I first heard of the process being used! We'll just say that was a "little" while ago and just leave it at that... LOL

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are going to need a qualified body shop.
Good news is, for any animal damage, it’s considered “act of God” and covered by comprehensive, so doesn’t count as an accident.

File a claim, find the best body shop you can, and let them go at it. End of the day it’s plastic and Steele; nobody got hurt but Bambi…so pick up the pieces and move on.

Around my parts right now, the body shops are all backed up…and parts are a challenge.

My recent repair took 3.5 weeks and they preordered the parts..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MCDizz