Paint job defects, nib removal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ReaperHWK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. Here's the story. I needed my rear bumper repainted because the clear coat was flaking off as well as the hitch cover needed a respray(for some reason it had drips of paint on there??). Also I had a huge gash in the rear spoiler I wanted fixed(bondo) and repainted. My driver side door was also misaligned and I wanted that fixed as well(had a huge gap where front door meets front quarter panel). Keep in mind I got this truck 6 months ago and knew about these issues so it was something I was going to do anyway, I didn't cause any of this crap.

Took the truck to 2 body shops; both with good reviews. One big shop that does ton of Geico work and another smaller shop that seems like less volume place. The big shop said they didn't want to touch the door alignment, told me to touch up the spoiler myself(he said he didn't want to risk breaking it when he removed it), and said they'd do the bumper only and that would run from $600 to $1000 depending on how difficult is to do with the sensors, etc. Sounded like the guy really didn't want to do this work since it wasn't through insurance.

Go to the smaller shop, they walk out, ask for all I wanted and just said $650 I'll do it all. Cool. Get the truck back 2 days later.

1)Did good job on spoiler and gash, it's acceptable and I'm happy with it.
2)Fixed door gap, looks factory again like the passenger door
3)The rear bumper I'm not that thrilled with, has some nibs(debris) in clear coat, probably a good 30 of them. They feel like little specs of sand in the clear.

Told the shop about #3 can tell he'll fight not to respray it since he quoted pretty low for the job, that it's general defects that can't be helped.

Here's the pic of the worst nibs:

IMG-2302.jpg

IMG-2300.jpg

IMG-2298.jpg

Anyone polish these out before? How successful were you? I know they make nib filing blocks and that I can use 2000 grit followed by a DA polish but wondering if anyone here has done this and how'd it come out?

I figure i'll try it on one on the bottom of the bumper first. I took the last pic for the reflection definitely has some orange peel that I think I can get out with a nice polish later.....

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Ok. Here's the story. I needed my rear bumper repainted because the clear coat was flaking off as well as the hitch cover needed a respray(for some reason it had drips of paint on there??). Also I had a huge gash in the rear spoiler I wanted fixed(bondo) and repainted. My driver side door was also misaligned and I wanted that fixed as well(had a huge gap where front door meets front quarter panel). Keep in mind I got this truck 6 months ago and knew about these issues so it was something I was going to do anyway, I didn't cause any of this crap.

Took the truck to 2 body shops; both with good reviews. One big shop that does ton of Geico work and another smaller shop that seems like less volume place. The big shop said they didn't want to touch the door alignment, told me to touch up the spoiler myself(he said he didn't want to risk breaking it when he removed it), and said they'd do the bumper only and that would run from $600 to $1000 depending on how difficult is to do with the sensors, etc. Sounded like the guy really didn't want to do this work since it wasn't through insurance.

Go to the smaller shop, they walk out, ask for all I wanted and just said $650 I'll do it all. Cool. Get the truck back 2 days later.

1)Did good job on spoiler and gash, it's acceptable and I'm happy with it.
2)Fixed door gap, looks factory again like the passenger door
3)The rear bumper I'm not that thrilled with, has some nibs(debris) in clear coat, probably a good 30 of them. They feel like little specs of sand in the clear.

Told the shop about #3 can tell he'll fight not to respray it since he quoted pretty low for the job, that it's general defects that can't be helped.

Here's the pic of the worst nibs:

View attachment 276126

View attachment 276127

View attachment 276128

Anyone polish these out before? How successful were you? I know they make nib filing blocks and that I can use 2000 grit followed by a DA polish but wondering if anyone here has done this and how'd it come out?

I figure i'll try it on one on the bottom of the bumper first. I took the last pic for the reflection definitely has some orange peel that I think I can get out with a nice polish later.....
Where in NJ did you get it done? I'm in NJ. Almost looks like he painted it outside, or if it was inside he had his doors open. Depending on the debris and how big and how much is in the clear, it may be able to be wet sanded out, but I wouldn't want to try it myself. You may do more damage scratching the paint while possibly dragging the debris around in the sand paper--possibly. I'd take it back to him just to see what he says.

OP
OP
ReaperHWK

ReaperHWK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't want to bash the shop just yet until I dig more into this. I do plan to stop by next week and see what he says, he told me that some of these "defects" would go away but I don't see that happening.

Worse case is if he tells me to pound sand I'll just give him a crap google review and try and polish these out myself.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Don't want to bash the shop just yet until I dig more into this. I do plan to stop by next week and see what he says, he told me that some of these "defects" would go away but I don't see that happening.

Worse case is if he tells me to pound sand I'll just give him a crap google review and try and polish these out myself.
They def won't "go away". I think what he's hoping is you'll go away. If some of that grit does falls out, that'll mean the clearcoat wasn't completely covering it, and it'll leave a spot in the clear that will eventually lead to a peeling clearcoat.

OP
OP
ReaperHWK

ReaperHWK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah will he at least see me one more time!

If he's a real ass I have plenty of pictures to post a "nice" review.

OP
OP
ReaperHWK

ReaperHWK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update on this. Went there this morning they will polish out all the panels and see if they can get them out. If that doesn’t work then I’ll have to bring up a respray.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC