Rear main seal leak? Pics attached

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdwood1111

Reaction score
For anyone wondering - doing rms with oil pan at the same time was a right call.
My mechanic said both were leaking once apart, rms cover had loose bolts.

Should be picking up her today or tomorrow.

Replaced: rms with cover plate, oil pan with all parts, oil pickup gasket, tranny cooler lines
What’s was the damage for all that?

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wouldn’t it have pressure without dod anyway since oil pressure sensor is there? Mine is without dod but was pissing oil everywhere around the cover
The OP sensor is behind the valley cover screwed into the block casting. These valley covers are all known to have the bolts vibrate loose and then harmonic vibration and accumulating dirt and leaking oil act like sandpaper on the gaskets IMO. Add to that high mileage and accumulating blowby increasing the crankcase pressure.,,, DAMN I need to get to bed.

Logani

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The OP sensor is behind the valley cover screwed into the block casting. These valley covers are all known to have the bolts vibrate loose and then harmonic vibration and accumulating dirt and leaking oil act like sandpaper on the gaskets IMO. Add to that high mileage and accumulating blowby increasing the crankcase pressure.,,, DAMN I need to get to bed.
It's little grungy back there but I don't see it pissing out. Still, I'm going to replace it when I replace the knock sensors (again and with quality parts).

Attachments

• 20230313_161641.jpg
    20230313_161641.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 15

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's little grungy back there but I don't see it pissing out. Still, I'm going to replace it when I replace the knock sensors (again and with quality parts).

Yeah that's the early stage there. Good pic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC