Rear Main Seal job, Pan, etc - 07 Yukon Denali 6.2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a DIYer and have my own lift at home.
Day 1
I'm starting the process of changing the rear main seal. While I'm at it I'm gonna:
1) Replace the trans fluid and filter, 2) Install oil pan gasket 3) Replace a leaky trans cooler line, mine has an external cooler, 4) new starter, 5) new alternator, 6) install new oil cooler adapter block off, 7) Installed new improved valve cover # 12570427. I recently installed a catch can. It is collecting an once of oil every 100 miles, NOT GOOD.

It took me half a day to get the 6 nuts off that hold the exhaust pipes to the exhaust manifolds. Lots of PB Blaster, patience, and elbow grease. I borrowed a special socket to get the O2 sensors out.

Here's a link to pictures I've taken on Day 1 of this massive undertaking.
https://imgur.com/a/Qo0LX1T
View media item 27363View media item 27372View media item 27373View media item 27378View media item 27376View media item 27377View media item 27379View media item 27380View media item 27381View media item 27375View media item 27374

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
how will you support the trans, will you bring it back just far enough to do rear main and than go right back in? thanks for showing this procedure as eventually ill need a trans and the rear main just makes sense at that point. i cant imagine laying on my back in the garage, that lift is the way to go!!!!!!

OP
OP
donjetman

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The lift is nice. Its rated for 10K Lbs. Cost was about $3500.

Are you going to have it tuned?
What are the pluses and minuses? I don't want to make its gas mileage any worse than it already is. And I don't need another hotrod. The main thing I'm gonna use this vehicle for is driving back and forth, 1000 miles each way, between our TX and CO homes several times/yr.

how will you support the trans, will you bring it back just far enough to do rear main and than go right back in?
I am working by myself and I'm letting gravity help me. I will lower the vehicle close to the floor. I will support the engine/trans with a jack while I remove the transfer case with a separate jack. Then I'll use a transmission jack to remove the tranny.When I put it back together I'll probably need a helping hand.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are the pluses and minuses? I don't want to make its gas mileage any worse than it already is. And I don't need another hotrod. The main thing I'm gonna use this vehicle for is driving back and forth, 1000 miles each way, between our TX and CO homes several times/yr.

A BlackBear tune basically makes the vehicle more driveable and for me, the biggest benefit was in the improved performance of the transmission. It shifts faster and sooner now. The engine makes more power and is ever slightly more fuel efficient too.

As for performance gains when comparing it to an exhaust system or headers, the tune is the best bang for your buck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts