Rear main info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes cleaner is not better. I have seen vehicles with years of neglect and no leaks and as soon as someone decides to flush, clean or run some kind of products with detergents in them to make internals all shiny like new... Things start ******* fluids all over the place!

Maybe the gradual build-up of deposits counter-act the wear on some of those seals? Building surfaces up as things wear down... Maybe a crazy theory. Or is it???

Seriously, though... There was one particular oil from Mobil that had some kind of seal conditioners that seemed to have done wonders in "restoring" flexibility of RMS, stopping the leaks for good. Not filling voids like leak stopper products, but getting the old hardened seal to soften up a bit and seal against the crank shaft better.

I went looking for posts on the WranglerForum.com, but couldn't find what I originally saw there. I want to say the oil was "Mobil Super High Mileage". https://www.amazon.com/Mobil-Super-...t=&hvlocphy=9001765&hvtargid=pla-569800672003

Reaction score
Sometimes cleaner is not better. I have seen vehicles with years of neglect and no leaks and as soon as someone decides to flush, clean or run some kind of products with detergents in them to make internals all shiny like new... Things start ******* fluids all over the place!

Maybe the gradual build-up of deposits counter-act the wear on some of those seals? Building surfaces up as things wear down... Maybe a crazy theory. Or is it???

Seriously, though... There was one particular oil from Mobil that had some kind of seal conditioners that seemed to have done wonders in "restoring" flexibility of RMS, stopping the leaks for good. Not filling voids like leak stopper products, but getting the old hardened seal to soften up a bit and seal against the crank shaft better.

I went looking for posts on the WranglerForum.com, but couldn't find what I originally saw there. I want to say the oil was "Mobil Super High Mileage". https://www.amazon.com/Mobil-Super-...t=&hvlocphy=9001765&hvtargid=pla-569800672003
I always thought the "high mileage" line of oil (Mobil1 High Mileage for example) contained additives to recondition seals.

robhotdog

Reaction score
Good job! What's a Barbell?? Mines the same but its 4x4...yours was cake! I'm still adding allittle oil for now..

Teamiez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What’s up y’all. Just had some info about my rear main. I developed a leak at around 230k. I ran castrol bout the whole time I had it. Someone told me to switch to Mobil 1. Never again. After about 2 oil changes it started leaking like crazy. Switched back to castrol an the leak never went away. Tried every stop leak on the market with no success. I had oil on bell housing. Down starter bolts. All that. Couldn’t see oil on fly wheel through inspection cover. Changed valve cover gaskets. Oil pressure sensor. Crank sensor. Oil pan gasket. Everything. So by then I knew it was rear main. Never done a job that big. Biggest I ever done was install my lowering kit an changed every piece of suspension on my Tahoe u can change. It’s all new. Also did a new timing chain an oil pump. But didn’t wanna drop tranny especially with it being so low. Well I said screw it an went for it. Bought me 2 long extensions off Amazon an 15mm and 13mm deep well swivel sockets. Bought tranny Jack from harbor freight. Took it back when I was done lol. The cover. The gasket an a barbell while I was in there. At the end of my y pipe I don’t have a flange to unbolt so had to cut it. Clean cut welded back up after I was done. Anyway if u guys have this problem don’t be scared if I can do it u can do it. Took me about 12 hours. That’s cleaning all bolts an crossmember an taking my time not to mess anything up. I haven’t had a drop of oil since. Been 4 days now.
I got mine done under the 3 month 1000 mile lemon law warranty when I bought mine from a Chevy dealer January of 2015 @ 97,000 miles, they also did the oil pressure sensor & pulled the intake & broke it so got a new intake and gaskets out of that deal as well.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Props to anyone willing to tackle that job in the driveway! RMS is a job that can go smoothly or NOT... If the service books say 8 hour job, I just know it would be a solid 20 hours over two days and a whole lot of swearing in my driveway.

When I was a Jeep owner, the joke on the forums among people with RMS leaks, who were procrastinating doing the repair was something like this:

"Consider it a perpetual oil change. Just keep topping it off and after a month or so, your oil will have been completely changed out! - You don't have to change the oil filter either, because the oil never gets old..."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSpork