Rear disc brake issue- need advise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BentleyArnage

Reaction score
Oops! What you're getting is ABS application. When you compressed the caliper, you allowed old nasty brake fluid to get back to the ABS manifold. Now those little valves and such are stuck, causing the thumping noise. In the future, open the bleeder when compressing the caliper piston. You can also clamp off the brake line as well. You never want that old crap getting back into those valve assemblies.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Plus, 30k is the right time to flush the system out. Others say 50k but I prefer as clean as possible brake fluid.

OP
OP
T

Tbruz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The caliper pistons pushed back very easy with the reservoir cap off/loosened.
The machine shop blasts the inside hat of the rotor to ensure no corrosion is present. I hit the trucks hubs mating surface with a rust colored scotch brite pad on my drill to remove anything there. i had sprayed fluid film on the hub but wiped all that off clean as my first WTF is wrong here analysis response.
I am leaning toward rotor warp as well and I may just bite the bullet and install new rotors , I just want to know whats- what now.
Thanks
T

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After about 15 minutes of use I can hear a rhythmic "thumping" at each application of the brakes. Its obviously rotational, heat related and coming from the rear brakes- NO shimmies or pulsating as you'd feel from warped rotors. I've taken everything apart again to see if anything obvious is wrong - all looks good.
Seems to me like a piston is hanging up slightly when it gets hot. Time for a rebuild, especially if original. Been there, done that, got the burned up rotor and pads in lieu of the t-shirt.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am leaning towards warped rotors. Like someone mentioned before, you can turn these rotors, but any more, it's not really recommended. I have not turned a rotor in nearly 24 years

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Like @swathdiver said, the rotor could be getting warped because of the caliper sticking when heated up. That is why I was talking about all the possibilities I listed and added the brake fluid flush, especially after 30k miles and since many years back, I have not machined rotors, I replace them. All manufacturers need to meet an AVERAGE of mpg and saving weight of thick rotors is a casualty of that.

When I bought my 05, the very first thing I did was flush/change ALL fluids, period. I wanted a baseline of how fresh they are instead of just hoping. Then I followed the "better to be safe than sorry" saying and will be changing those fluids on my own severe schedule. Hell, I even cleaned and lubed every single piece of rubber seal on this thing. But, I am an **** person when it comes to maintenance. My signature says so.

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
Have you tried when your hearing the noise to simply push the parking brake pedal down?Would answer the parking brake pads sticking-ask me how i know.I removed mine and thru them in the trash.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia