Rear Diff severely worn Need Advise ASAP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TWITCH101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i went to replace some axle bearings and found that my rear diff has a spider gear that is severely worn and chipping teeth, it would only last about 2 more oil changes by my best guess. I dont have the knowledge to rebuild a carrier case but i have pulled my old one out and was looking for a replacement. I was hoping I could just buy one from Rockauto that is already loaded and just bolt it in place of the old one and be good to go. Am I right or wrong for thinking this? I'm assuming loaded means that the backlash is within spec and all I would have to do is take the diff out of the box, bolt this thing in with the bearing races and be back on the road. Advice????

OP
OP
TWITCH101

TWITCH101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sucked it up and bought a detroit trutrac diff. after reading reviews about yukongear and auburngear i think I made the right choice.

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True Tracks are china diffs. But, lots of people have good luck with them. I did. Backlash shouldn't change, but it likely will. Enough to cause problems? Nobody can say for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxandpj