Rear defroster not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not one to do half assed repairs but hear me out.

What if you de-pin the four bad pins from connectors and then plug them back together. Then, run a pair of wires though the spaces in the connectors and solder/heatshrink them. You can force some RTV throught the connector and be on your way. You may never need to touch that connector again.

Just tossing it out there.

MacGuyver / A-Team schit gitt'r done and do it better!!!

OP
OP
SnowDrifter

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
I’m not one to do half assed repairs but hear me out.

What if you de-pin the four bad pins from connectors and then plug them back together. Then, run a pair of wires though the spaces in the connectors and solder/heatshrink them. You can force some RTV throught the connector and be on your way. You may never need to touch that connector again.

Just tossing it out there.
Actually
I don't hate that
Though, I might subsitute some butyl for RTV - reversible and whatnot (butyl and dielectric grease are my usual weapons of choice). Or just toss a higher power connector in there to take the 30 amps that the defrost pulls. I already have the connector kinda drilled out for routing a dash cam wire. Or hell.... Even soldering it wouldn't be terrible - still can be disconnected because the grommeted bit is just a tiny little harness based on what fless and yourself found - can still be disconnected from the hatch side

Need to see how much extra wire I have to work with on the body side. That might be a task for when it's not in the teens and freezing rain

BeenChevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exact same problem on my hoe a few years back. Noticed the defrost quit for days after washing it. Pulled apart the harness and bingo. Used a 12-pin waterproof connector kit laying around from another project and it worked perfect. Was probably $5 on scamazon.

Released all the pins from the existing harnesses and snipped/stripped immediately after the pins and there was still just enough slack to go back together perfect.

OP
OP
SnowDrifter

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Exact same problem on my hoe a few years back. Noticed the defrost quit for days after washing it. Pulled apart the harness and bingo. Used a 12-pin waterproof connector kit laying around from another project and it worked perfect. Was probably $5 on scamazon.

Released all the pins from the existing harnesses and snipped/stripped immediately after the pins and there was still just enough slack to go back together perfect.
Oh nice

Happen to have a link by chance?