Rear bumper... trailer hitch cover Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joeltz

Reaction score
So I wanted a Cleaner look for my hitch, and studied and measured to cut a hole in the cover, so hitch goes thru the cover .

well if you look at inside of cover you can see mold lines and right in the middle a circle about 1/2 inch in diameter.

Use a 2 1/2 or 2 5/8 hole saw and drill using the molded circle as Center

The Hole will be exactly over the square hitch opening!!

you have to file the bottom of the cut hole Square to have enough room to slide the cover fingers into the upper mounting plate

Hitch goes thru the cover for a CLEAN look and you can put the pin in before attatching the cover

the hitch itself has a hole for the spare tire drop shaft you
can put a S hook and 6-7 inches of chain with a shackle for trailer safety chains I use a small hitch plate when not needing the Ball

View attachment 274309

View attachment 274308 View attachment 274310

Last edited:
OP
OP
Joeltz

Joeltz

Reaction score
So I wanted a Cleaner look for my hitch, and studied and measured to cut a hole in the cover, so hitch goes thru the cover .

well if you look at inside of cover you can see mold lines and right in the middle a circle about 1/2 inch in diameter.

you have to file the bottom of the cut hole Square to have enough room to slide the cover fingers into the upper mounting plate

Hitch goes thru the cover for a CLEAN look and you can put the pin in before attatching the cover

can put a S hook and 6-7 inches of chain with a shackle for trailer safety chains I use a small hitch plate when not needing the Ball

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

View attachment 274309

View attachment 274308 View attachment 274310

Sounds good but cannot see the photos.

OP
OP
Joeltz

Joeltz

Reaction score

View attachment 274309

94B2E184-2335-4904-B9E6-198CC06A4EA6.jpeg 8AB5E223-401E-40A6-8CBA-4C749EF899CA.jpg

Last edited:

Philpug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am really surprised there is not an aftermarket cover option because that area looks awful without the cover on.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am really surprised there is not an aftermarket cover option because that area looks awful without the cover on.
It does but it is a good rust gauge though.:oops:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC