Rear Axle Swap 4 disc brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kgoose

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello to all and thanks in advance for any and all help provided. I own a 2000 Yukon Denali project. I can purchase a complete rear axle from a 2004 Yukon for 250.00, this would provide the rear disc brakes I want. Is this a feasible swap and should I consider any precautions. I know it has the same gear ratio of 3.73, and am unsure if a locker or a limited slip, which would be bonuses!! Thanks again for help from the guru's

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If the front yoke takes the same u-joint and it will not be effected by any difference in the driveshaft length, the attaching points match, springs mount and clearances are ok then likely is good but what about brake equalization for the disc brakes instead of drums. I am sure the brake pressure and such are likely different and so therefore need to check to see what kind of pedal you will have and see what is needed.

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to say ron is on the right track . I can't think for the life of me what the name of the part is but its found in or near the booster , it controls the amount of fluid going to each axle, It was adviseable to change it when swapping from a 10 to 14 bolt Full floater but I found out it only has to do with the amount differences in the axles since your retaining the same size axle you should be ok ... wish someone would chime in and provide the part name I'm trying to think of

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Sorry, should have said it earlier, it is called a proportioning valve or metering valve. You can use stock off a rig with the rear disc set up or get an aftermarket valve that is adjustable. Those are nice and you can dial it in to your habits instead of you adapting to it.

OP
OP
K

kgoose

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
NOW THAT is why I asked you guys. I never would have even considered that as an issue but IT IS an obvious one. Thanks very much. As for the other dimensions I would have to measure, but they are the same vehicle only newer. I figured it would be far more economical to swap axels than purchase aftermarket kit which is PRICEY.. I would guess though the improvement in braking would be substantial ??

Monkeyman

Reaction score
I would guess though the improvement in braking would be substantial ??

Since it's on the back axle, I'm guessing the improvement in braking would be minimal at best. Unless the stock drum brakes are less than worthless and the new(er) disc brakes are superb (like a good Wilwood setup), you might not even notice the difference. A lot of the Jeep'ers swap out their rear drums for newer discs but the only reason they do it is to keep the brakes cleaner as they're driving through the mud, not for a shorter stopping distance. YMMV

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n