rear A/V Jacks and power port.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eagle

Thansk for all the help -STAFF!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone asked if I had any pictures of what I was referring to in my sig...

So here ya go.

623cecb8.gif

The outlet was $8 from radio shack but VERY oem looking, and I wound up stealing the bulkhead connectors from a $12 wall plate. They only had the component wallplate in stock so... I used green for yellow instead of waiting around to get a Composite video wall plate.

7e67ee7f.gif

Reasons behind Modification:

i have an overhead 7" flip down, with a DVD player up front. the second input used to be connected under the seat to a PS2 by the PO.
since the 2nd row folds down to allow rear seat passengers in and out, that seemed like a crap location.

The rear cubby fits both my DTV convertor box (converted to 12v) and my son's PS2 slim (with 12v to 9v adapter), so I relocated them there, but needed a way to access 12v and have a nice reliable way of connecting the A/V cabling.

I wanted to be able to PnP either unit in seconds, or connect some other source like a Camcorder, PSP, Vsmile portable, etc so the 3rd row passengers (my children) could have their choice of entertainment, while the 2nd row enjoy the audiovox hr7ddpkg headrest monitors I installed last weekend.

the power port is merely paralleled to the existing right side power port.
I do not forsee this being any real issue since,
If the third row is in use, I am very unlikely to need to connect anything behind the seat and it would be inconvenient to do so.
And if it is not, then I have no need for the a/v Cubby power port as the rear port is more conveniently located.

Last edited:

diffrnt

Say...What!
Reaction score
Hey Eagle,

What did you use to covert the DTV box to 12v? Right now I am using an inverter to power mine.

OP
OP
Eagle

Eagle

Thansk for all the help -STAFF!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When i bought mine, I looked for units that ran on 12v dc or 9vDC. Then it was just a simple matter of cutting off the transformer/rectifier and grafting on a Cig. Lighter plug since most low amperage 9v devices can actually handle 12-14v input, wasting the excess as heat.

Note: I have had NO excessive heat issue, but the PS2 is higher amperage so it gets an actual 9vDC adapter from ebay.

diffrnt

Say...What!
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Your DTV box looks like mine, but I will check out the specs on mine to see if I can do the same as you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
513Tahoe