Random issues on 01 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bayareadude84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2001 Suburban

Never had these kinda of problems before on my other GMT 800's I have owned

First for everything ??

The turn signal "Clicking" sound comes on and off intermittently when not in use ??

ABS light on dash on ?? ABS module or ABS wheel sensor ??

Trac control light says "off" doesnt turn on if I press button ??

HVAC doesnt blow any air front or foot area vents ?? Just works on the dash defrost vents ??? My guess it's Blend door actuator on driver side under dash ??

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
first thing to check is the battery cables and battery, even if it looks clean take the cables off and wire brush everything.
beyond that the abs module board is known to have a problem where the solder gets loose from years of road vibration, it can be repaired, google has many video's
traction control won't work if the abs has a problem so it's likely related and not something separate.
you can try pulling the hvac fuse for a few seconds and re-insert that will make the hvac re-calibrate, that may or may not fix the issue with the actuator

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Read the codes; that might help to isolate the cause.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Swap sides with the O2 sensor and see if the problem moves. Also, friend just had weirdness like this, and his alternator was dying/died.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a OBD2 scanner and have done 5 drive cycles and Only code is for a bad O2 sensor

Dave
unless that scanner can specifically read ABS codes then it will not work for you in any way at all, other than for your 02 code which is unrelated to ABS
ABS codes are not OBD
SRS codes are not OBD
the only way they are related to OBD at all is they are read from the same port (interface) the scanner must be capable of being able to read ABS/SRS codes and will be specified as such by the manufacture, generally scanners that can be read them will cost more than your run of the mill OBD scanner, if you look at the scanners at the auto parts store on the back of the box it will have check marks indicating what it can do or not do.
traction control codes are BCM codes and can be related to either ABS or engine/drivetrain performance issue's but either way those type of codes can only be read with a scanner capable of reading them as well

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
unless that scanner can specifically read ABS codes then it will not work for you in any way at all, other than for your 02 code which is unrelated to ABS
ABS codes are not OBD
SRS codes are not OBD
the only way they are related to OBD at all is they are read from the same port (interface) the scanner must be capable of being able to read ABS/SRS codes and will be specified as such by the manufacture, generally scanners that can be read them will cost more than your run of the mill OBD scanner, if you look at the scanners at the auto parts store on the back of the box it will have check marks indicating what it can do or not do.
traction control codes are BCM codes and can be related to either ABS or engine/drivetrain performance issue's but either way those type of codes can only be read with a scanner capable of reading them as well
X2.

To OP: Don't need to spend a fortune on a scanner. I first got a Zurich from Harbor Freight for about $100. Not the base model, not the top model. The one in the middle, that listed ABS and SRS capabilities.

Worked great in finding a problem that was only driving me crazy with ABS on the highway. That unit pin-pointed my issue to a bad left front ABS speed sensor in minutes. While ABS light and chimes were driving me crazy, the only codes were ABS fault codes buried in the system. Nothing triggering CEL or messages on the DIC display.

As soon as I got in there with the Zurich to identify the issue, I replaced the correct sensor and was on my way. Before getting in to find out what was going on with the scanner, I was having nightmares of having to replace a bad ABS control module or, hubs, tone rings or at least multiple sensors. The scanner told me exactly what part was bad and that was all I had to mess with. It was a $30 part.

I since got a Tech2 for about $300, but the Zurich sits in my console for quick checks if needed on the road.

OP
OP
B

bayareadude84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ABS codes are not OBD
SRS codes are not OBD
Yes, I knew this already. I have 2 basic cheap scanners I leave in the center console of each of my burbans for quick checks. I have this bad boy on order for $135 after tax:cool:

1649260109803.png

OP
OP
B

bayareadude84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2.

To OP: Don't need to spend a fortune on a scanner. I first got a Zurich from Harbor Freight for about $100. Not the base model, not the top model. The one in the middle, that listed ABS and SRS capabilities.

Worked great in finding a problem that was only driving me crazy with ABS on the highway. That unit pin-pointed my issue to a bad left front ABS speed sensor in minutes. While ABS light and chimes were driving me crazy, the only codes were ABS fault codes buried in the system. Nothing triggering CEL or messages on the DIC display.

As soon as I got in there with the Zurich to identify the issue, I replaced the correct sensor and was on my way. Before getting in to find out what was going on with the scanner, I was having nightmares of having to replace a bad ABS control module or, hubs, tone rings or at least multiple sensors. The scanner told me exactly what part was bad and that was all I had to mess with. It was a $30 part.

I since got a Tech2 for about $300, but the Zurich sits in my console for quick checks if needed on the road.

Ya mine are basic scanners I use for when I buy cars to flip I keep them in my console. I have this one on order for $135 after tax ;)

1649260189110.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhrusso925