Rain water leak in both front doors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eventsb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've been dealing with water intrusion through the front doors since the day I brought home my 2013 PPV. First the drains were clogged with gunk. Cleaned those out, still leaked. Then it turned out to be the water deflectors. It was completely missing from the driver side, and on passenger side it was there but the seal was mangled up. So I replaced the seal on passenger side and I got a deflector from the junkyard for the driver side and sealed it up as well. At this point I thought I was good, NOPE!

Now it looks like water is coming in through the square hole at the bottom where the door panel hooks into. There is a square foam seal on both of the hooks on the door panel, yet the seals are soaked. In a heavy storm, water trickles in a good amount, enough to get a small puddle on my floor. It's doing this on both front doors, despite the foam seal being there. It looks like the front rear seal is dry but the rear front seal is soaked. Everything above this square hole is bone dry so its definitely coming from there. Any ideas how to stop this? I'm tired of having to clean it up after every single rain.

Attachments

• photo_2024-06-11_00-12-35.jpg
    photo_2024-06-11_00-12-35.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 8
  • photo_2024-06-11_00-12-39.jpg
    photo_2024-06-11_00-12-39.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 10
  • photo_2024-06-11_23-26-34.jpg
    photo_2024-06-11_23-26-34.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are those the legs that hold the panel when you loosen the clips? They may hold the panel vertically when attached as well..

Here's my 2 cents..

1. tape a bubble over the hole on the inside of door
2. silicone over all sides of foam seal

OP
OP
E

eventsb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Taping a bubble seems like it could work, now to figure out what material to use to be effective...

Just blows my mind that GM thought the little square foam piece would be sufficient to keep water out

I mean it does seem to be working on the rear doors, just not the fronts for some reason

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have a large plastic seal covering almost everything between the metal door inner frame and the plastic interior cover for the door?

OP
OP
E

eventsb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
UPDATE

Ok I sat in the truck while it was raining with the door panel off and now I can see what is happening

Firstly I had it backwards it is actually the front hole the water is coming from (I circled the wrong one in the OP, I have edited and corrected it)

Water is dripping down from the front area of the window track and splashing on the wire that runs to the mirror which is conveniently hanging right in its path

The wire is diverting it towards the water deflector and then it is running down along the butyl seal until it collects at the drain hole which is located DIRECTLY above this circled hole (WTF?)

I believe my Tahoe is parked at a slight angle so gravity is basically exacerbating it and allowing the water to drip down directly over this hole and then it collects on the door seal until it overflows and comes right into the passenger footwell from there.

That doesn't really explain why its also leaking on driver side but I haven't had a chance to take that panel off and watch the path the water is taking there but I suspect something similar

Attachments

• photo_2024-06-11_23-26-34.jpg
    photo_2024-06-11_23-26-34.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 5
  • photo_2024-06-11_23-34-29.jpg
    photo_2024-06-11_23-34-29.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 4

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I would look at the outer window wipe seals. Plus, how is the wrap around rubber seal for the door opening hole? The outer edge of the door seals there when closed.

OP
OP
E

eventsb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The door seal is new. The leak is coming from the door panel, and leaking down onto the seal from the inside.

The window sweeps look fine as far as I can tell.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, just the foam water deflector as shown in the 3rd photo
I'm no expert on the inside waterproofing criteria of doors on these trucks, but I've removed the plastic inner shell of the door on many other vehicles for a myriad of reasons, and I've always found a large heavy plastic sheathing covering almost the entire door panel and sealed on top and sides to the door's metal frame, in order to keep water our of the inner workings and components of the door.

@OR VietVet Are these truck door water seals different that most other vehicles on the market - i.e. no plastic sheathing for waterproofing in the door?

OP
OP
E

eventsb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know what you're talking about. My Monte Carlo has the plastic sheet in its doors. In these trucks it appears they replaced the plastic sheet with the foam piece. They both serve the same purpose though, the part is called a water deflector per GM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gerardojr83

Latest posts