Radio Install Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

orange57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those that have done the after market stereo install, do all 6 speakers still work with a 4 channel head unit? Or did you install a separate amplifier?

OP
OP
O

orange57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All 6 will work because the tweeters are paralleled off of the midrange woofers that are powered off the HU.

Well, I guess 8 then. I put components in the front doors, they sound great. The rear doors also have speakers and then there are speakers in the way back in the headliner. So I'm not sure how the rears are set up. Time to pull up the wiring schematic.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be honest, if you put the right speakers and amplifiers in, the 4 door speakers and the front component tweeters on the front windshield columns will produce more than enough quality sound, without the need for the rear headliner speakers. When I installed my aftermarket audio system, I simply disconnected the rear headliner speakers, and I don't miss them.

Head Unit - Kenwood DDX6904S (supports both Apple-Play and Android Auto. I use Android Auto. Converted 1 existing front USB under the front dashboard climate controls for phone cable Android Auto Connection. USB cable and jack lays in glove box for .mp3 memory stick usage).
METRA Universal Steering Wheel Control Adapter ASWC-1 (fully supports all steering wheel controls. Backup camera was disconnected with this adapter/conversion unit.)
Speakers: Front: Alpine SPS-610C Component; Rear Alpine SPS-610 Coax
Sub: Audiomobile GTS 2110 in a floor-firing custom box in a matching carpet covering located behind the center console and between the middle seats (acts as a table for the middle seats, as well).
Amps: Speakers: Kenwood XR4014 (75 Watts RMS @ 4 ohms); Sub: Rockford Fosgate don't remember model number (500 Watts RMS @ 2 ohms and attenuation control mounted under the steering wheel).

OP
OP
O

orange57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did some googling, looks like there is a small amp that just needs to be wired to power on. So will go that route. My truck doesn't have tweeters in the A-pillar. They are in the door, by the window switch. I'm pretty happy with what I put in. I think I have read you can get 6x9's into the rear. Will have to investigate that a little more.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i did a quick wiring to test actually having the rear speakers mine doesn't have them. i tested some 6 in and couldn't tell a difference at all unless i had them tuned purely for bass. still kinda sounded like crap as i didnt do any of the other work like modifying the bracket to actually properly hold a 6 or anything else i just had some wires tossed through the truck and the speakers zip tied up.

Chrismnj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i did a quick wiring to test actually having the rear speakers mine doesn't have them. i tested some 6 in and couldn't tell a difference at all unless i had them tuned purely for bass. still kinda sounded like crap as i didnt do any of the other work like modifying the bracket to actually properly hold a 6 or anything else i just had some wires tossed through the truck and the speakers zip tied up.

Replacing crap speakers with "some speakers" will not change anything, get your self quality speakers preferably 2 way if you don't have tweeters and you see the difference.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replacing crap speakers with "some speakers" will not change anything, get your self quality speakers preferably 2 way if you don't have tweeters and you see the difference.
i was replacing non existing speakers with pioneers i had on hand for a side job. i borrowed them to test out adding speakers to my rear.

Chrismnj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was replacing non existing speakers with pioneers i had on hand for a side job. i borrowed them to test out adding speakers to my rear.
which head unit do you have? might be not enough for speakers

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu