Radio dim not going back to "day mode"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KBones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When turning off the headlights, either manually or automatically, the led's in the radio should brighten back up and return to day mode. This truck I'm working on stays dim (night mode) at all times and is hard to read when the sun is out. Anyone run into this issue? Fixes? I'm leaning toward a new headlight switch...

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When turning off the headlights, either manually or automatically, the led's in the radio should brighten back up and return to day mode. This truck I'm working on stays dim (night mode) at all times and is hard to read when the sun is out. Anyone run into this issue? Fixes? I'm leaning toward a new headlight switch...

Did you check the BCM for codes? When my daughter killed the battery and as soon as we got it jumped, the lights were too bright and set a code for such. A lot of codes set but I just cleared them all.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No codes.

You could try disconnecting the battery for a time and see if it returns or swap the light switch out. Was that you or did someone else recently mention the same issue? The navigation unit has a setting in the menu but not sure about the radios.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was a different post. Sounds goofy but check the sensor on the dash. If it thinks it’s dark it stays dark. Shine a light on it

OP
OP
KBones

KBones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I hate to throw parts at it but I have a switch and the ambient light sensor on its way. I'll install them one a time and test it to find the culprit and just return the one I won't need.

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tried the submenu procedure to reset the head unit? I recently had my battery disconnected and my time display disappeared. I had to use the procedure to reset it. Worked great you just have to resist making other changes while in there, it has a lot of options and it looks like you could mess the system up if not careful...................................

OP
OP
KBones

KBones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a feeling it's gonna be the switch or the senor on the dash because the led's for the temp on the hvac controls go along with the radio dimming.

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine will stay dim if just the fog lights are on. That's for a 2004 though. Did you check that?