Radiator replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Splorg

Splorg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips and hints! It went in without any real issues, which surprised me. I do however either I would have flushed the thing - the old radiator must have weighed 15 lbs more than the OEM replacement of the same design, which makes me wonder what on Earth kind of dirt is floating in the rest of the system. I'll be doing a flush next week when I have a day off.

As an aside, I manage a large-chain retail store. If you have to go out and get stuff, do the folks a favor and thank them. We have a front row seat for what seems to be an endless line of how ugly society can get when things aren't right there right now; and that could absolutely make some cashiers day. I could tell you some stories, believe it. Had a fistfight last week between two grown men over social distance. Seriously.

Thanks guys!

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That crap that is stored in your old radiator is from over time. Hopefully you did replace the thermostat when you did the radiator. Flushing is not a bad idea. If need to replace the thermostat still, take it out for the flush and install after.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Well, if you have enough crud in the cooling system and you flush it, some of that crud could get trapped in that thermostat. Your call.

OP
OP
Splorg

Splorg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, okay, I understand! Sorry I'm a bit dense! Thank you, I wouldn't ha e thought of that. Guess I should look to see where the thermostat actually is on this - I wasn't brave enough to try the water pump on my own. :)

OP
OP
Splorg

Splorg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Splorg:

Did you buy and install OEM unit? Did you buy the 21650 model? And did it have fittings installed?

Mine is oozing now from my problems and im so "done" with this issue.
What I purchased was the AutoZone "direct replacement" Duralast B2423 radiator. While I'm not sure if it counts as OEM, it did indeed match all the dimensions and have all the fittings in exactly the same places as the rad that was in my Yuke. A few disclaimers:

1) my upper radiator hose had a manufacture date of 10/2000, my Yukon being a 2001 model year I assume it is the factory hose. Not only is that terrifying/amazing, it leads me to believe the rad in the truck was also the factory unit; therefore the AutoZone unit was a direct fit.

2) while the replacement unit came with new spring clips for the oil cooler lines and a new drain valve it did not include the bottom "pins" that were on the old one or a drain hose. Not complaining. Didn't take long to transfer those.

Here's a link that I hope works:

https://www.autozone.com/cooling-he...l/radiator/duralast-radiator-b2423/577456_0_0

Where are you seeping/leaking from?

OP
OP
Splorg

Splorg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never mind, I see it. Only thing that comes to mind is that the spring clips that came with the new rad were of a slightly different shape than the factory ones. Mine aren't seeping after 100+ miles installed - did you use the ones provided? Did they come with new clips at all?

I'd have to wonder, if the ends of the lines are clean and undamaged if maybe someone did a poor job welding/sealing the new fittings or some other manufacture defect caused the fitting side to distort and not seal somehow.

I don't know if that is of any help, o hope it was. Sorry yours didn't go as slick as mine :(

new2yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. That autozone link shows the CU2423, which is the unit I bought and am having issues w/ tranny cooler fitting leak @ rad.

I have the thread going right now. it's on fitting leaks. I just posted in it.

new2yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never mind, I see it. Only thing that comes to mind is that the spring clips that came with the new rad were of a slightly different shape than the factory ones. Mine aren't seeping after 100+ miles installed - did you use the ones provided? Did they come with new clips at all?

I'd have to wonder, if the ends of the lines are clean and undamaged if maybe someone did a poor job welding/sealing the new fittings or some other manufacture defect caused the fitting side to distort and not seal somehow.

I don't know if that is of any help, o hope it was. Sorry yours didn't go as slick as mine :(

It's not leaking on the tube. It's the fitting seal AT the rad. Rad job on this truck is cake....if the lines don't leak...haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AEHaas