Radiator replacement/found oil Help !

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Midnight_Yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all, I am doing a radiator replacement on my 2007 Yukon Denali XL, 6.2 L. After I had gotten my fan off and looked down under the radiator there looks to be dirty coolant put also some spots where coolant looks like it’s not mixing with oil. My thoughts are that some of the coolant is mixing with dirt that’s why it’s a brownish orange color but in some spots, it’s completely avoiding the coolant. This car does have some small oil leaks nothing to be terribly worried about, but I was wondering, if the oil cooler in front of my radiator because I think that is what it is, (don’t quote me on that) has something to do with this. I believe it is not a head gasket issue. Please let me know what you think.
image.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 8

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that oil or transmission fluid? I don't see any oil lines going to the driver's side radiator tank. It may be trans fluid that leaked out of the cooler lines on the pass side when you disconnected them? Trans fluid has a unique texture and smell compared to motor oil.

OP
OP
Midnight_Yukon

Midnight_Yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is that oil or transmission fluid? I don't see any oil lines going to the driver's side radiator tank. It may be trans fluid that leaked out of the cooler lines on the pass side when you disconnected them? Trans fluid has a unique texture and smell compared to motor oil.
That could definitely be, I think the lines that were connected were trans coolant lines. I’ll show pics, what does it look like? Those are the two hoses i disconnected one goes forward towards the engine one goes back under towards the front. I think your right on the trans lines. If so should I do a refill on my trans oil, a lot came out?image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 6

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it looks worse than it is. The trans oil should be floating on top of the coolant in that bucket. Is the oil on the trans dipstick clean? I would imagine you only lost less than a quart. This is on my to do list as well. I like your hose clamp pliers LOL. Whatever works!!! Good luck man! Following along!

OP
OP
Midnight_Yukon

Midnight_Yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That’s what it’s lookin like I’d say it looks good but I’m not sure what it’s supposed to look like lol. And ya gotta get the clamps somehow lmao, there’s some pics of the finished product and a new reservoir. Thank you for keeping my head on straight and keeping me from thinking i had bigger problems! Much appreciated!
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    370.3 KB · Views: 5
  • C34F9AA2-A4CB-43D3-98C6-88E3C4A928EC.jpeg
    C34F9AA2-A4CB-43D3-98C6-88E3C4A928EC.jpeg
    339 KB · Views: 6

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member