Question: Truck roll after shift to park?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

electro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good day folks.

After I shift my truck to park it will roll forward or backwards, perhaps too much.

Can you "tighten" it up?

Is it in my Trans and what is it called?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

jasonconway5

Reaction score
Always set the emergency brake when on even the slightest of hills. Otherwise, you put a load on the transmission, not good for it.

OP
OP
electro

electro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Always set the emergency brake when on even the slightest of hills. Otherwise, you put a load on the transmission, not good for it.

Absolutely couldn't agree more.

But I wanna know what actually hold the truck when in park and not using the parking brake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

SteveCZ28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Parking paw

like he said. its called a parking pawl. its basically about a 3/8ths inch diamterer metal pin with a little latch type piece on it. when you put the transmission in park the gear grabs this pin more or less locking the transmission up. these pins can break if you throw the truck in park while there is still motion to it, or it is still moving. or parking it on a hill and letting the truck roll forwards or backwards abruptly which will also break the pin.

heres a picture descibing what im talking about
ParkingPawlAssembly.JPG

OP
OP
electro

electro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a beauty pic. Thank you for posting that!

Im trying to get my parking brake working again. Not having any luck. I have new shoes and adjusted them to just fit inside rotor. But still not brake.

Lots of load on parking paw.

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waiteben84