Question about ZW7 Smooth Ride (Nivomat) shocks

Discussion in 'Street Suspension' started by CountryBoy19, Oct 31, 2018.

Sponsored By: DJM Belltech
  1. BADRIDES

BADRIDES Full Access Member

Name:
    Jason
    My 2002 Tahoe has the ZW7 code and it had the fat black shocks with the G65 code.

2. CountryBoy19

CountryBoy19 Full Access Member

Name:
    Mark
    I'm not really sure.

By my logic, if an 04-06 4WD ZW7 vehicle originally came with Nivomats and AC Delco offers a cheaper replacement (the blue ones) wouldn't there still be a Nivomat option offered by AC Delco?
    Furthermore, if they offered a cheaper replacement for the 4WDs, wouldn't they also offer a cheaper replacement for the RWDs?

As it is, according to Rockauto, there is no AC Delco Nivomat offered for 04-06 4WDs, and there is no cheaper blue one offered for 04-06 RWDs.

For 03 & earlier models there is no cheap blue option, both 4WD and RWD have the Nivomat as the replacement, but those Nivomats have different part numbers. This is because the RWDs had a different rear axle than the 4WDs.

It's safe to say that the RWDs are not just treated as the same vehicle w/o a T-case and front drive axle. They call for different brakes and everything so it's safe to say there may be other differences between the two, like suspension differences.

We can also reasonably expect that RWD vehicles are going to stay on the street but 4WDs can be expected to go off-road occasionally.

Maybe the Nivomats just weren't working out in off-road performance?

Understanding all those things, my logic tells me that when they moved from the 03 models to the 04 models, which is when they made a lot of big changes to these, they changed something with the suspension options packages for the 4WDs. The ZW7 no longer meant Nivomat shocks.

3. CountryBoy19

Name:
    Mark
    The plot has yet again thickened... It occurred to me that I have only been looking at Yukon XL models, because that is what I have. Out of curiosity I plugged in a 2004 Yukon.

While the 2004 Yukon XL model has Nivomats for RWD vehicles and the blue shocks for the 4WD, the 2004 Yukon has only Nivomats for both 4WD & RWD.

It appears that maybe for some reason Nivomats were not included with the ZW7 pkg on long wheel-base 4WDs after 2003. Once again, maybe because they were being subjected to more harsh use/abuse and being damaged? I don't know the reason... dang I would love to get ahold of a GM engineer...

4. CountryBoy19

Name:
    Mark
    Oops, double-tap

5. Massfloefi

Massfloefi Full Access Member

Name:
    Ron
    Funny thing is that I know someone with a 2005 Suburban 5.3 4x4 and they do have nivomat shocks.

6. CountryBoy19

Name:
    Mark
    I would be interested to know if they also have RPO code G65 ...