Question about upgrading Foglights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are many who have added aftermarket LED lights (that come in there own housings). So you just swap the plugs and bolt in place as opposed to trying to do a PITA retrofit.

Fogs are supposed to be dim for fog. Light refracts off the water in the fog and causes reflection back at you. The brighter your fogs are in fog, the worse they are. Putting HIDs in fogs is an incredibly ******** move. Doing that they are worthless unless you angle them up, and don't care about how badly you are blinding oncoming drivers, (making them blind as they are getting really really close to you, passing you with an impact of twice your speed.. :badidea: ) If you are going to do that, at least get projector foglight housings so you can angle the beam.

Most people now a days are using light bars, or are you aware of the 4hi mod? What reason are you trying to add more light. Nobody really needs MORE light for the small section below your headlights... There is usually a better way to fix this, what reason do you have for wanting to do this?

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@adventurenali92 has tried some aftermakets, I believe.
Yup. I’ve had an interesting experience with modding my fog lights. The best way I’ve done was adding LED bulbs to my stock fog housings. I use my fog lights more for driving in the really mountainous area that I live in. We get a ton of fog on the mountain roads and the LEDs help, but not much. It’s more for use in dry conditions as there are no street lights on the roads leading up and down the mountain. So having light to light up the road in front of me when it’s pitch black on a normal night is my primary concern. The best luck I’ve had was LED bulbs I ordered from xenondepot.com specifically that are plug and play to my 2006 Yukon xl Denali. They were pricey but lasted like three years and performed incredibly well. I’ve done halo ring fog light housings with the little projector lens for the primary bulb. They were ******. Zero output from the projector because it’s not a real one. And the halos didn’t last very long before the LEDs burned out because they were cheap Chinese crap. Currently I’m running a fresh set of LED bulbs from xenondepot in a stock look alike fog housing. It’s the exact same dimension as the own housing, but with what was supposed to be a better led ring installed in it. The LED ring doesn’t work and I gave up on it. But the primary bulb and lense looks like like a factory reflector and housing. Threw the LEDs I bought into them and they work great.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
F

FergL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There are many who have added aftermarket LED lights (that come in there own housings). So you just swap the plugs and bolt in place as opposed to trying to do a PITA retrofit.

Fogs are supposed to be dim for fog. Light refracts off the water in the fog and causes reflection back at you. The brighter your fogs are in fog, the worse they are. Putting HIDs in fogs is an incredibly ******** move. Doing that they are worthless unless you angle them up, and don't care about how badly you are blinding oncoming drivers, (making them blind as they are getting really really close to you, passing you with an impact of twice your speed.. :badidea: ) If you are going to do that, at least get projector foglight housings so you can angle the beam.

Most people now a days are using light bars, or are you aware of the 4hi mod? What reason are you trying to add more light. Nobody really needs MORE light for the small section below your headlights... There is usually a better way to fix this, what reason do you have for wanting to do this?

Ya, the only reason to add some more light down there is to deal with actual foggy conditions, and to throw a bit of light at the ditches ( lots of wildlife crossing). I agree, unless aimed right or proper housings HID's are a dick move to oncoming traffic. Light bars are extremely tricky here as anything mounted above the headlights needs a cover during the daytime and are literally only for off road use. I've seen lots of the aftermarket pieces, and these ones appealed to me because they were one of the few that didn't have the halo on them ( not a big fan).

OP
OP
F

FergL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yup. I’ve had an interesting experience with modding my fog lights. The best way I’ve done was adding LED bulbs to my stock fog housings. I use my fog lights more for driving in the really mountainous area that I live in. We get a ton of fog on the mountain roads and the LEDs help, but not much. It’s more for use in dry conditions as there are no street lights on the roads leading up and down the mountain. So having light to light up the road in front of me when it’s pitch black on a normal night is my primary concern. The best luck I’ve had was LED bulbs I ordered from xenondepot.com specifically that are plug and play to my 2006 Yukon xl Denali. They were pricey but lasted like three years and performed incredibly well. I’ve done halo ring fog light housings with the little projector lens for the primary bulb. They were ******. Zero output from the projector because it’s not a real one. And the halos didn’t last very long before the LEDs burned out because they were cheap Chinese crap. Currently I’m running a fresh set of LED bulbs from xenondepot in a stock look alike fog housing. It’s the exact same dimension as the own housing, but with what was supposed to be a better led ring installed in it. The LED ring doesn’t work and I gave up on it. But the primary bulb and lense looks like like a factory reflector and housing. Threw the LEDs I bought into them and they work great.

This might have to be the route I go. If I can't find a decent fog light alternative to light up the ditches a bit better, I will go this route. Did you go with a 3000K light, or more white in colour?

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got, but have not installed yet, an HID kit from Morimoto. Using the 880 bulb, so it fits into my stock housing. I am in Mid-west Florida. Fog is not the reason..... water on the roadway is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons