Question about center bore sizes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rayyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a set of wheels from friend of a friend a while back, which he told me were “GM bolt pattern” 6 x 5.5

I installed them and they seemed to fit fine. Recently, I noticed my neighbor’s Dodge Ram truck… He has the same wheels… I realized the rims on my truck are from a Dodge Ram!

The bolt pattern is the same… However, the listed bore sizes are different:

GM 78.3
Ram 77.8

How is it possible that a rim with slightly smaller bore size fit perfectly onto the GM hub??

Is this safe to drive?

(already drove 10,000 miles like this!)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rayyy

Rayyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it was the other way around (larger GM bore size wheel onto smaller Ram hub), what would pose more of an issue…

But, I’m thinking the smaller bore size of the Ram wheels was enlarged when the rims were torqued down into the GM hub.

Given that they are extra tight… Is it okay to keep driving like this?

OP
OP
Rayyy

Rayyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weird… When I check the BORA wheel spacer site, it shows the center bore size for GM as 77.8 (same as Dodge Ram),

However, when I check everywhere else… It shows up as 78.3.

Which is it?

Attachments

• IMG_0279.jpeg
    IMG_0279.jpeg
    176.3 KB · Views: 2

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All my information for GM wheels was a 78.1 mm bore diameter! LOL

Whatever it is, you want hub centric wheels, wheels that mount securely to your hub, this is what keeps them in place, not the lug nuts. Guys who run lug centric wheels usually pick them up off the side of the road at some point.

OP
OP
Rayyy

Rayyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Whatever it is, you want hub centric wheels, wheels that mount securely to your hub, this is what keeps them in place, not the lug nuts. Guys who run lug centric wheels usually pick them up off the side of the road at some point.

Indeed, I see many sources specify either 78.1 or 78.3 center bore size for the NBS 1500 trucks… but, nobody else lists it as 77.8

I’m rather surprised at the level of discrepancy here, usually center bore size specs for wheels seem universally accurate.

OP
OP
Rayyy

Rayyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Hey btw, just spoke to Lenny from Motorsport-tech.com (they make Bora spacers for 30yrs and measure everything precisely). He said that although the specs all over the Internet do say 78.1 or 78.3, if you use a micrometer to measure the actual GM hubs… They are exactly 77.8! o_O

Apparently most online sites simply upload data sets when making these databases, which creates and echo chamber, sometimes resulting in proliferation of inaccuracy.

This all makes sense since my blasphemous Ram wheels are literally spec’d at 77.8, and fit my GM hubs like a glove… Perfectly tight. And come to think of it, likely wouldn’t even fit at all if the hub was indeed .5mm too big.

Either way, I’m shocked… I’m going to measure the center bore on some GM rims next and see what that comes to.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just measured the hub on an axle in the garage, it's kind of rusty, 78.3! LOL Only measured from one direction and had to go and get the dogs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20