Putting air ride back in an ltz

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snq96

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
hey all, I’ve tried searching beforehand for the info but didn’t get what I really was looking for but I have an ‘08 Tahoe LTZ and it had autoride Z55 factory. Well somebody apparently killed the system before I bought it and swapped to standard suspension. It has the service suspension message upon startup and it had a blown fuse for the pump when I bought it. Replaced the fuse and no change and my solus scan tool won’t pick up the suspension at all to say what it is. What I’d like to know is if there’s a possibility to convert it back to autoride and if so what all am I going to need? I will of course need the shocks, pump if mine doesn’t work, and any ride height sensors that are bad but is there anything at all else tied in that I’ll need to convert back?

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pump is probably shot, usually first thing that goes, then air shocks. You can get a resistor to turn that light off, just sayin.
Otherwise its gonna cost $$$. But I understand the want to put it back to factory.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey all, I’ve tried searching beforehand for the info but didn’t get what I really was looking for but I have an ‘08 Tahoe LTZ and it had autoride Z55 factory. Well somebody apparently killed the system before I bought it and swapped to standard suspension. It has the service suspension message upon startup and it had a blown fuse for the pump when I bought it. Replaced the fuse and no change and my solus scan tool won’t pick up the suspension at all to say what it is. What I’d like to know is if there’s a possibility to convert it back to autoride and if so what all am I going to need? I will of course need the shocks, pump if mine doesn’t work, and any ride height sensors that are bad but is there anything at all else tied in that I’ll need to convert back?

That about covers it. Look underneath to make sure the right height sensors are still there and the wiring and the pump.

Run your VIN through here to see which parts you'd need: https://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/catalog/catalog_search.php

Your front shocks have RPO codes, a 6XX and a 7XX.

If the conversion was done right, they would have replaced the springs with stiffer ones and hopefully the part numbers are still legible on the stickers attached to them.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
to swap it back to z55 you are looking at around 1k roughly without springs (if they weren't changed), +/- if you go oem or aftermarket

OP
OP
S

Snq96

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Honestly it would be well worth it to get rid of the message and have a comfortable ride. It rides like a brick at the moment and sways way too much. If the stickers are worn off I should still be able to get the part numbers from the dealer shouldn’t I?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly it would be well worth it to get rid of the message and have a comfortable ride. It rides like a brick at the moment and sways way too much. If the stickers are worn off I should still be able to get the part numbers from the dealer shouldn’t I?
if you go rockauto and put in your make/year/model it will show what they have for z55, they sell the rear arnott's (remaned oem) with a lifetime warranty, they also sell the arnott air pump, and they have the front struts also. all those parts will come with a lifetime warranty, there is a 5% discount code in the vendor section.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Dealer, ACDelco, here or RockAuto.

Check your swaybar parts and steering about the sway.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Question...

Are you certain that the front struts were changed to NON-Autoride struts?

Also, just for clarification, the Autoride struts and shocks are electronically dampened. This is the Z55 RPO code.

The Auto leveling rear suspension, which is RPO G69, is where the air pump comes into play and technically has nothing to do with the Z55 Autoride package aside from the fact that the rear shocks are both electronically dampened (Z55) AND air adjustable (G69). In other words the air pump has no effect on the front struts in any way, shape, or form.

The reason for my first question is that just because someone may have swapped out the rear shocks for non electronically dampened (dumb shocks) shocks DOES NOT necessarily mean they swapped out the front struts.

The air pump and air bladders in the G69 Auto leveling rear suspension are the two areas that fail most frequently. When they do a lot of people see the price tag on the Z55 rear shocks and opt to buy the cheap "dumb shocks" to save money.

If I were you I would check the tops of your front struts and see if they have a plug on the top of them where the strut rod comes up through the center. If they do then you still have the Z55 struts intact up front.

As far as getting the "Service Suspension System" light to go off... that can be accomplished for about $20 and a few minutes to install some 3.9 Ohm 25W resistors at each corner of the truck.

At that point you could go with any shock/strut of your liking and no more error messages on the DIC.

If you want stiffer/better handling you could go with the Tahoe PPV shocks/struts.

I have the Rancho 9 way adjustable struts on the front of my 4/6 dropped Burb and I like them pretty well.

The options are endless.

Sorry for writing a book...
Hope this helps.

OP
OP
S

Snq96

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You dont have to be sorry for a novel, I always appreciate input and opinions. Sadly they did change the front shocks out for the non autoride shocks. My main thing for wanting to have the air suspension back under it is that I make a lot of long trips and the interstate is horrible up to dc, and through West Virginia where I go so it would honestly be great to have.

Update, so I did double check just to be safe and it is for sure autoride which I was pretty sure of as it was. The coils are different than the factory ones so I’ve gotta get a new set of those to boot but I found a new set for $75 plus shipping which is good.

Last edited:

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
The other cheap option to get the G69 Auto leveling feature back up and running would be to get a set of Monroe air shocks for the rear of a standard suspension and hook them to the factory air pump. Then replace the factory air pump with a Dorman replacement.

That would get the auto leveling working but you would still need the resistors to get rid of the light on the dash.

Alternatively you could get the Arnott replacement shocks for the rear... they are great quality and they don't require resistors.