Put a new transmission in my 2004 Yukon…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What brand radiator did you get? I may have missed it in my reading.
If it is a mediocre off brand, it may not have the restriction in the surge tank fitting. Can be hard to see in there when it is in the truck. So, if you have issues this winter with it not warming up you know why. I remedied this in my Silverado by putting a primerless .45 acp casing in the hose to the tank and pinching it in place with a hose clamp lol.

OP
OP
WickedGoat

WickedGoat

Reaction score
I live near a Summit, and their warranties are good. Sometimes their vendors suck, but Summit's service is pretty good. Meaning you could have returned what you had for a replacement -- if you were willing to wait.
You are right about their warranty being good. Also, their customer service is also top notch.

I ended up experiencing another leak and this time, Summit sent me a replacement GM transmission oil pan and gasket to replace the pan that the trans came with. The GM pan has a ridge that runs the perimeter of the pan flange and will create a better seal when tightened down. The pan that came with this transmission did not have the ridge and after speaking with Summit Tech and customer service, they told me to pick out a new pan and they would ship it to me for free. I chose the stock GM pan and it was at my door in 3 days. I went to AutoZone and bought 16 new flanged bolts and swapped the pans the following weekend.

I purposely waited to make sure there were no leaks before I updated this thread. It has been two weeks now and the truck has been driven like 500 miles and there are no more leaks. It shifts and drives great. So now I will further advise anyone that buys this transmission to ditch the fancy chrome one that comes with it and use your stock pan or the Dorman pan, and your stock pan bolts. I did have to buy a replacement trans filter since the GM pan is the shallow side deep pan where the chrome pan was completely deep. There are two different filters for these pans. I just ordered and received two cases of Delco Dexron VI trans fluid because my Impala and Acadia are due for drain and fills again so I ordered another case just to flush the Yukon. I’ll give it another couple thousand miles and flush the old stuff out.

I do believe Summit will stand behind the trans if it comes down to it but I think I am good to go now. It sounds like I have been through an ordeal with this but it hasn’t been that bad. The truck isn’t a daily driver so that was a plus. This also was another reminder that sometimes the stock parts are a better choice. All I know is that it is nice having Old Faithful up and running good again! It needs a couple more things done but nothing pressing.

OP
OP
WickedGoat

WickedGoat

Reaction score
What brand radiator did you get? I may have missed it in my reading.
If it is a mediocre off brand, it may not have the restriction in the surge tank fitting. Can be hard to see in there when it is in the truck. So, if you have issues this winter with it not warming up you know why. I remedied this in my Silverado by putting a primerless .45 acp casing in the hose to the tank and pinching it in place with a hose clamp lol.
It was the OSC, part number OS 2921 from Rock Auto. I posted a pic of a part number spreadsheet I made up to get a final tab on this project. I’ve had no issues with the radiator or cooling system, especially with these hot days we have been having. I will keep an eye on it this winter though.

OP
OP
WickedGoat

WickedGoat

Reaction score
Final update to this project… the transmission has not leaked since the pan swap and it has continued to run fantastic. I bought a case of AC Delco Dexron 6 to do a fluid change on it within the next 5000 miles but other than that, I would definitely buy another Summit transmission and recommend it for a DIYer looking to save money. I don’t know how a random repair shop would feel about installing this transmission but it is definitely worth it to ask if they will if you can’t DIY.

So to summarize, if you go with this transmission, remove the supplied pan and gasket and get a new GM gasket and retain your old trans pan and bolts. If your old stock pan didn’t have a drain plug, you can add one yourself or just go buy the Dorman pan that has the plug but also retains the ridge around the pan lip that helps seal it up better.

Henryjs453

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The transmission in my 04 Yukon finally crapped the bed back in February. Wife was driving it on the Interstate when it started revving to 5000 RPMS and wouldn’t get passed 50 MPH. She called me and told me what was happening and I told her to turn around and try to get back in the driveway, which she did.

I tried to go around the block with it that following weekend and that was a no go. Sounded like the pump was screaming and the fluid was burned and nasty. It had been slipping when shifting into 2nd gear for a while and it finally said no more. I bought my wife an Acadia back in 2019 when the Yukon trans started acting up so we got extended borrowed time on it.

I called a few shops in my area to get some quotes. $3500-ish was the ball park with a low of $2800 and the Chevy dealer being over $4000. Beyond the pricing, it is hard to find a good shop in my area that you can trust do the job right. The dealership was just too expensive for my 200k miles Yukon.

I then started to contemplate doing it myself and looked online for shipped to my door prices. Enter Summit Racing… They have an exact fit new transmission for our trucks that will support 450 HP and is advertised as correcting all of the factory defects that the factory ones were born with. The case and bell housing are stripped and painted, the guts are brand new, and they throw in a polished finned trans pan with a drain plug, all for the measly price of $1749 shipped to my house on a FedEx lift gate. I was sold. The only issue I had was the back order for the trans was excruciatingly long. I ordered it in February and got it in mid May. I ordered a converter from a reman shop in KC. I ordered a couple of parts from my local Chevy dealer and I ordered all the rest from Rock Auto.

I came in at approximately $2800 with all the parts I replaced and my labor. I had no help and spread it out over 5-6 days working here and there. The truck runs great and that transmission from Summit, so far, is worth every penny. Got about 175 miles on it so far and it has been great. I replaced the radiator, factory original, the trans lines, and a bunch of other stuff. Attached is my parts list with vendors, part numbers and prices.

View attachment 372876
When you replaced the trans did you have to do any scanning for trans codes or just do the swap and start driving? Was it a 4x4 ?

Henryjs453

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just did the swap and started driving, and yes, AWD.
Thanks. I am looking at replacing mine @200k miles and have found the same pricing as you. I was wondering about the summit transmissions and feel better hearing about your experience.

OP
OP
WickedGoat

WickedGoat

Reaction score
Thanks. I am looking at replacing mine @200k miles and have found the same pricing as you. I was wondering about the summit transmissions and feel better hearing about your experience.
Just save your old trans pan and bolts to swap over to the new transmission, unless your stock pan doesn’t have a drain plug and you want one… Then I would buy the Dorman replacement pan. You will most likely need a replacement filter to accommodate the stock or Dorman pan. I’d buy the GM gasket also. You can sell the fancy pan and bolts and recoup some cash back.

The R&R is straight forward. At your mileage, I’d do the rear main seal while you are that close to it. Mine was leaking and I had the parts on hand prior to the transmission crapping on me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne