Push button gear selector

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to think automatic headlights were great, I'd never forget to turn my headlights on especially with DRL making it look like the headlights were on. Then, my sister drives my Explorer and turns the switch from "autolamp" to "off" and I don't notice and drive around without headlights! I still think autoheadlights is a good idea because more people would forget to turn their headlights on otherwise.

I'm not sure how I feel about an automatic parking brake. Once I got used to the luxury of it setting automatically, I might forget on an old style manual parking brake!

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to think automatic headlights were great, I'd never forget to turn my headlights on especially with DRL making it look like the headlights were on. Then, my sister drives my Explorer and turns the switch from "autolamp" to "off" and I don't notice and drive around without headlights! I still think autoheadlights is a good idea because more people would forget to turn their headlights on otherwise.

I'm not sure how I feel about an automatic parking brake. Once I got used to the luxury of it setting automatically, I might forget on an old style manual parking brake!
There’s no stopping ’change’ bud.... Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They're making stuff overly complicated, for no good reason except to make repairs nearly impossible, and to raise costs/profits. Sort of like 'do you really need your washing machine connected to the internet'? We as a whole fell for it. Now it is hard to stop.

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They're making stuff overly complicated, for no good reason except to make repairs nearly impossible, and to raise costs/profits. Sort of like 'do you really need your washing machine connected to the internet'? We as a whole fell for it. Now it is hard to stop.

To this I agree whole heartedly. However, we seem to be in the minority, that cool tech is what people want. I guess it's also too expensive for them to make two versions, a dash with basic buttons/dials/column shifter, and another with all the cool tech.

If my parking brake began to fail due to worn shoes, and it didn't hold on the slope, and the parking pawl got jambed, I wouldn't know if it was the little motor that shifts the transmission out of park failed, or if the pawl was really stuck. At least with the column shifter, I'd know.

I can deal with that tech, but honestly, all this tech is just getting too much. But what do I know? At least Chevy seems to be the most sane of the domestic 3.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My absolute favorite is people driving into deep water and drowning because of autolocking doors and power windows. When driving on hard water years ago, my kids hated me because I demanded they keep their windows down.

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My absolute favorite is people driving into deep water and drowning because of autolocking doors and power windows. When driving on hard water years ago, my kids hated me because I demanded they keep their windows down.

Where the heck are you, Whitehorse? Farther north?

Thunder22

Reaction score
The lack of gear shift was the one thing that I was skeptical about before buying my 2021. Now that I've been using it for awhile, it's a non issue. That being said, having to turn Auto Off off every time i start the truck is a PITA.

tomgilk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The lack of gear shift was the one thing that I was skeptical about before buying my 2021. Now that I've been using it for awhile, it's a non issue. That being said, having to turn Auto Off off every time i start the truck is a PITA.

Why do you want to turn it off every time? I didn't like it much at first but I'm used to it now and it saves a little gas here and there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm6t