1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Push button gear selector

Discussion in 'Interior' started by Larryjb, Nov 20, 2020 at 11:29 AM.

1. Larryjb

Larryjb Full Access Member

Name:
    Larry
    I've been thinking about this for awhile now. I just love having the column shifter, but many are saying they just love the push button selector now.

I was noticing how convenient my column shifter is for frequent shifting, such as in 3-point turns parking. If the push buttons were on the dash as they are in the 2021, I'd have to stretch, making selecting gears a bit of a stretch for me.

So, how is the feel of the push button selector in such situations?

2. Galante

Galante Supporting Member

Name:
    Pete
    I dunno, if I rest my palm on my gear selector and stick out my finger I can touch the dash where, on the 21’s, it appears the push buttons are. Not sure you have to stretch so much. Btw my seat is all the way back and leaned back a little too. I would miss resting my hand on the shifter in general. Just my thoughts....

3. Larryjb

Larryjb Full Access Member

Name:
    Larry
    I never said I had to stretch much. But, I don't see buttons on the dash being more convenient in situations where you would need to change gears frequently.

My question is really for the 2021 owners and how they find shifting when parallel parking, 3-point tums etc.

4. scott53

scott53 TYF Newbie

Name:
    Scott
    My 2012 Yukon, that I trade in on my 2021 Tahoe, was the first column shifter I had since 1976. It took me a while to get used to it over a console mounted shifter. The dash mounted push or pull mounted gear selector is much that same as that. It takes some getting used to, but seven weeks and 750 miles in I no longer have to think about it. It's a repitition thing.