Purchased a 2006 Yukon XL Denali today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Double07

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not sure I’m happy I did. I’ve been driving a 2002 Chevy Suburban and have been happy but just wanted to upgrade. My husband was the influence on the Denali. Not sure what it was that made him want me to have one.
Anyway I am now the owner of a 2006 Yukon XL Denali. Thinking maybe I could make myself love it somehow. The center console is one of the issues. I was so used to the one in the suburban. Wondering what I could swap it out with so it would be more functional.
Now that we’ve bought it. I kind of am sorry? We need to make repairs on it for sure. It’s obvious it needs new shocks and there is a strange whistling type noise coming from somewhere near the radio.
I’ve also never had a Bose radio? I can’t seem to find regular radio stations only advertisements for Sirius.
Did I mention while driving this vehicle home I hit a baby dear?
So does anyone else have one of these and do you love it?

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Miami Beach Jean!

watuzi

Reaction score
It seems like you have buyer's remorse hehehe. I hope you didn't pay too much for it?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

I have an 07 Yukon XL Denali, and I love it. The 07, however, is the first year of a new body style, so comparisons to your 06 is a bit of apples and oranges.

Lots of knowledgeable and friendly folks here, who will help you with any specific issues that you have with your truck. Unfortunately, there is little that we can do to help you like your new-to-you truck, other than help you make it run as well as it can.

rgosart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure I’m happy I did. I’ve been driving a 2002 Chevy Suburban and have been happy but just wanted to upgrade. My husband was the influence on the Denali. Not sure what it was that made him want me to have one.
Anyway I am now the owner of a 2006 Yukon XL Denali. Thinking maybe I could make myself love it somehow. The center console is one of the issues. I was so used to the one in the suburban. Wondering what I could swap it out with so it would be more functional.
Now that we’ve bought it. I kind of am sorry? We need to make repairs on it for sure. It’s obvious it needs new shocks and there is a strange whistling type noise coming from somewhere near the radio.
I’ve also never had a Bose radio? I can’t seem to find regular radio stations only advertisements for Sirius.

The Denalis are really nice vehicles. I am sure you will get used to it!

What is the issue with the console? I'm pretty sure you can't just swap a 2000-02 console in to an 03-06 because the dash is different. It will bolt up, but I am not sure if it will look right.

As far as shocks go, most people on here recommend Bilstiens. 4600 series for stock height and 5100 series for leveled and lifted trucks. If you have Autoride, make sure it is functioning properly.

The radio should operate basically the same as a non-Bose radio. The buttons are just in different places. The "Band" button lets you switch to AM/FM radio...

Reaction score

Wow ,really you don't like the console? I like the 2003-2006 consoles so much better then the 2000-02 consoles. I have a 2001 Yukon SLT and I really like it a lot but I really wanted a 2003-06 Yukon XL with the Denali Trim but when I came across my 2001 Yukon regular size one with the SLT Trim a few weeks ago, it had its transmission rebuilt, a host of other stuff redone and it was already Inspected for Maryland and Maryland only inspect one time per owner but MD is much harder to pass a inspection because of that so its nerve racking buying a use car in MD because of that, so finding a perfect well taken care of Yukon with MD inspection already was too good to pass up but I really wish I had the Denali , the Denali was a huge Game Changer for GMC when they came out with that trim. lol I am trying to sell you on the Denali here lol. Everything about the Denali is so much cooler . I love the wood trim it has, I love the side skirts body panels it has, I love its bumpers, unless the Denali you have is really in bad shape, I think over time you will come to love it. Honestly Danali was a huge game changer so much for GMC that Chevrolet and Buick now are trying to make their own versions of Danali, like for Chevy, its the HighCountry Trim that is Chevy's Danali and Buick has the Avenir , Both trims are trying to mimic what the Danali did for GMC. I also wanted the XL but got the short one lol. The XL will be good for road trips with all the luggage it can carry. Give it time, I think you will end up loving it, btw I am warming up to my SLT trim and console but I will trade consoles with you lol.

Last edited:

Bear77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The center console is one of the issues. I was so used to the one in the suburban. Wondering what I could swap it out with so it would be more functional.

Welcome to forum from Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area. I own the 03 Yukon Denali XL and love it! What seems to be the problem with the center console that you would like it to be ”more functional?” Anything in particular that you don’t like about it and maybe want to change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Imo, people are just comfortable with what they're accustomed to. Whether if's good or bad. Not bashing at all, just my opinion. I'm sure once she gets used to it, she'll love and wonder how she ever got along without it :D

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Welcome to the forum ma'am! Post up some photos when you can and YES! Our family loves our Yukon XL even though it's not a Denali!

Does yours have an automatic transfer case where the old Suburban did not? That gives me peace of mind for when my wife and children are driving it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kentf3