Pump or Regulator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kdaws2008

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys

2001 yukon xl 1500. (I did have the intake manifold gasket replaced and the idle is fantastic, thanks for the help with that one!) We noticed prior to the gasket replacement, that on occasion, the truck wouldnt fire up right away. You would have to turn the key and hold it for a few seconds, then it would start. Or we would turn it off and then on again and it would fire right up. Now I can go a few days and it will turn right over. But on some days I would go to start it 30 minutes later and it would take time to crank up. I pulled the vacuum line on the regulator today after it took 3 tries and it finally started up, and there is no gas in the line, so I am assuming the regulator is still good. This happens regardless if there is a full tank or 1/4 tank. So whats next? Anyone else have any suggestions? Should I go ahead and replace the regulator or go off in another area? Thanks!!

SLCHOE

ASE Master Certified + (L1)
Reaction score
You sound like you checked the regulator pretty well. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge?

Chizzychase

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More then likely the fuel pump or a clogged fuel filter. If the filter is clogged and has been for a while you might expect to do the entire sending unit as well since its an all or nothing deal.
Although if yours isn't flex fuel disregard with the fuel filter.